Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The State Of Your Heart

"Can you leave it all behind? I hope so, because you can’t go back." — Unknown

We often make a distinction between people who believe in God and those who do not. If someone knows about God, we think that is better than them not knowing about God. But that is not the distinction the Bible makes. The Bible says that people either believe in the true God, or they believe in idols.

Knowledge of God doesn’t change the state of your heart, and it’s the heart that matters the most. It’s in the heart where idols are created. We can touch and see and feel them. We imagine them filling our thirsty souls. They continually lure our passion and faith away from the true Almighty God. Idols can be metal or they can be mental, but there is a constant temptation to put trust in them rather than in God.

“Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one." All who make idols are nothing, and the things they treasure are worthless. Those who would speak up for them are blind; they are ignorant, to their own shame. Who shapes a god and casts an idol, which can profit nothing? —Isaiah 44:8-10

God and God only is Almighty. There is not a single idol on the face of the earth that we can fully depend on to meet our needs. They simply aren’t able to do so… and so they eventually leave our hearts empty, our expectations broken, and our dreams shattered. Even the idols that appear to be able to sustain us will ultimately crumble at the moment of death, for they are completely unable to help us beyond the grave.

Father, I say that You are all I need in this life. But, in all honesty, I don’t fully believe it. Speak to me now. Reveal the idols that I cling to. Show me what I am relying on to fulfill my needs and enable me to choose You for fulfillment instead. Amen.

The August '14 Edition of The StarLight News has been posted to the Internet at http://the-starlight-news.blogspot.com/

Happy Reading and Happy Tuesday,
Richard



No comments:

Post a Comment