Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Lost Lamb

(By musician Peder Eide, http://www.pedereide.com)

"Daddy, are we gonna check with lost and found at the hotel when we get there?" asked my 10 year old daughter, Allison as we drove down the interstate on our way to a three day family getaway at a Wisconsin Water Park. "Can we check right when we get there dad?" Allison continued remind me that we needed to go find Baby, the toy stuffed baby lamb that she had lost a year ago in the room we stayed in at this same Resort. Since we go once a year she thought we should go check again in person with the staff of the hotel as soon as we got checked in.

Mind you, this was not just any soft little toy bedtime companion. This was Baby. Allison had this little, well-worn lamb since she was born. You could see it was loved by the wear and tear and worn out exterior. Baby was loved, adored, prayed for and so very missed. Even mom and dad were very determined to find Baby.

After we settled into our rooms, made some sort of schedule for the three days, Allison and I were off to find Baby. We first started at the front desk, which directed us to another front desk on the complete, other side of the resort. Being this was a completely enclosed resort of water parks, rooms, condos, and it was 10 below outside, Allison and I walked through all sorts of walkways, turns and skywalks, walkways, turns, and finally we arrived at another front desk. When we finally arrived, there was a line of other people needing help with their stay. (I assumed no one else was looking for a lost stuffed animal but you never know.) The line seemed to be moving slow and I could tell my daughter was a bit anxious so I asked if she wanted to come back later. She very clearly stated she was willing to wait because she did not miss this chance in getting her little lamb back. 20 plus minutes later we talk to the person behind the counter who kindly informed us he is not the person to talk to regarding any lost and found items. We were then sent to another part of the water park and I again asked Allison if she wanted to keep searching since she would be missing some of her swim time. "Keep going, I want to find Baby." Okay.

Almost an hour later we finally find the right person who listened to our story. We tell about how we left this precious stuffed animal here last year and we are back trying to find some answers and to find this little lamb named Baby. The hotel employee listened and with gentleness but authority tells my Allison that they only keep lost items for 6 months and after that they are disposed of.

My stomach just sank. I could just feel the wind in my little princess disappear. She secretly reached and grabbed my hand and with amazing maturity says to the staff person "no problem, thank you for your time." I was a bit caught off guard by Allison's calmness and was somewhat impressed. As we walked away and went around the corner to head back to reunite with the family for swimming, I looked down and said "I'm sorry they didn't have Baby, Allison." Before the words even left my lips, knowing no one else was around; Allison wrapped her arms around me, buried her face in my shirt and cried. I mean the kind of cry that hurts to hear, hurts to feel, hurts to let out.

I just held her. She was broken. It probably sounds like a lot of drama for a stuffed animal but it meant more to her than that. It meant a whole lot of history, memories, family tradition and the specialness because of where it came from and from who; all this was now gone. We walked the long corridors and hallways back to the wave pool and the whole time my hurting hearted little princess just held my hand. No words. Just walking with her fingers intertwined with mine. It was not how I expected it to turn out. Definitely not what Allison expected either.

It is hard to think what its like for God. The Bible says that Jesus came to seek and save the lost. The result of Jesus being born, living, teaching, dying, rising from the dead so that those who believe could say "I once was lost but now am found."

Do you think it hurts God when there are so many who deny Him, mock Him, ignore Him? The atonement is complete, love is abounding and yet there are ones who hear the message of Jesus and say "who cares?"

What does God do?

He keeps pursuing them. He keeps revealing His glory to them. He keeps loving them. He will not stop no matter how long it takes because when you love something as much as God loves them, you keep on seeking the lost.

How about you? Have you asked the Lord for a heart for the lost? I have some pastor friends who have planted churches with a great passion for those who want nothing to do with the church, faith, or Jesus.

Yet, they keep on going, keep on preaching, keep on loving and are willing to do whatever it takes.

Do you know anyone who might be considered lost? What is your heart towards them? Do you feel like giving up and would rather go be with "the rest of the family and swim." Or are you willing to keep loving them, serving them, pursuing them with kindness.

Search your heart my friends...plain and simple. Don't wait too long...

No comments:

Post a Comment