Thursday, April 30, 2015

Froggy Grief

"So then, how are you doing now?" they ask. I muster up my best going-forward face and say "Oh, good, thanks," then change the subject as fast as I can. Some days, what I say is true, but some days, it is not. Grief is like a frog struggling up the side of a well, bent on escape into fresh air and solid ground. Just as the frog climbs up a couple of feet, he loses his grip and slides back down. Then, he has to start all over again.

It's over three years since my husband died, but some days, it feels like yesterday.

Psalm 6:6-7 – I'm tired of all this — so tired. My bed has been floating forty days and nights on the flood of my tears. My mattress is soaked, soggy with tears. The sockets of my eyes are black holes; nearly blind, I squint and grope. (MSG)

But in all of this, repeatedly, I find God as faithful as ever to my lonely and distressed widow self. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. He comforted all who lost loved ones years before me, and the ones since, and yes, the ones in the years to come. What a gracious God!

Hebrews 13:8 – Jesus Christ (the Messiah) is [always] the same, yesterday, today, [yes] and forever (to the ages). (AMP)

Prayer: Thanks, God. Your promises are true and real and forever, and they are ours. Amen.

Brenda Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment