Thursday, August 6, 2015

Stoned but Unshaken

We only had the car 3 months–a 2005 model, but in mint condition. Garage-kept, not a speck, nick, or scratch. Near perfect. One day my husband returned from an errand and asked how I got the crack in my windshield. I was dumbfounded. I went out to inspect my car and noticed a tiny hole on the driver’s side where the nine-inch crack had originated. I spotted another tiny hole on the passenger’s side.  To me, it was obvious; a couple of stones fell off a truck, or were tossed by a lawnmower and popped against my window.  As I drove over speed bumps, potholes and rough roads, the tiny hole trailed across my windshield.  Now the crack has grown; it extends nearly the entire height of the window.
“5 Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. 6 Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. 7 My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. 8 Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.” Psalm 62:5-8
Just when life seems to be rolling along rather smoothly, a stone pops up and cracks the windshield of our lives. Often Christians can be like those stones which inadvertantly pop into the air and hit an unsuspecting soul. We do not notice the significance of that hit; we do not feel the sting of words hurled impulsively without thought during a passing conversation. We roll on thinking nothing of how we affect another’s world. I dare say that a good majority of the people who have hurt me in my lifetime are totally unaware of it.
I tend to stuff stuff; I swallow insults and tuck things away. I live with pinpricks and stone-fissures. Then one day, I hit a bigger bump that causes the tiny fissure in my security to fracture my heart. Unless I take the time to follow the crack to the origin, I may not know exactly why I am upset. But once I’ve gotten alone with God, prayed about my pain, lain my hurt before Him, He heals my heart and seals the fissure. He helps me see the initial offense I ignored that produced the crack.
Yes, sometimes a scar is there…visible to me, but not to others. Its tenderness, when touched by some unguarded moment, is a reminder for me to watch how I walk each day. I use it to pray for more discernment as I talk with others, as I pass them on the roads of life. I pray they not be shaken by troubling and burdening experiences. I pray they find the refuge available in Christ. I pray for those who cast stones to be filled with grace, to know the love of Christ. I ask God to have mercy upon them for the things they do and say that may inadvertantly crack my windshield.  Then I forgive and move on.
© Hariette Petersen, SelahV Today, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment