Friday, May 6, 2016

HE HAS THE RESOURCES, BUT...


“When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures” (James 4:3 NIV).
 
On many occasions, people wonder why God do not answer their prayers the way they want it. This has made some people to think that God probably cannot provide for what they are asking. Some have even concluded that there is no God. However, God exists and He has the power to answer prayers and give more than enough to provide for people that are requesting for one thing or the other from Him. Paul exhorted Timothy to charge the rich in the world not to rely on their riches “but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment” (1 Timothy 6:17 NIV). There are other Scriptural passages that reiterate the richness of God (see Psalm 36:8; 130:7; Romans 9:22; 11:33; Ephesians 1:7, 18; 3:8, 16; Philippians 4:19). In spite of these, He may decide to deprive us of some of these riches if He knows that we will not use them profitably or for His glory. Most especially, He would not grant our requests if such requests are asked with wrong motives for personal gratification (see James 4:3).
 
I understood this principle more with a recent incident in my family. My ten-year-old has a mobile phone. His desire is that I frequently credit the phone. Because of his careless use of previous credits that I had given him, I decided to limit the amount of credits I will be giving him. It came to a point that I did not even give him any credit for a long time. Then one evening after he had slept, my wife pleaded with me to transfer to him some credits out of the abundance of credits that I had on my phone. I conceded to the plea and made the credit transfer without the knowledge of my son. However, I warned my son the second day that I would not give him more credits in the future if he does not use the one I gave him prudently. The obvious lesson that I learnt from that incident is that inasmuch as I would be reluctant to give my son credit in spite of the fact that I have it in abundance but because of his misuse of previous credits, God also would be reluctant to give us anything if we ask amiss.
 
What have you been asking from God? What is the motive behind such request? Will God’s answer to such request glorify God? Will it be profitable to you and others around you? Are you not asking with wrong motives for personal gratification? He indeed has the resources to answer your prayers, but....
In His service,
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).

No comments:

Post a Comment