Monday, August 14, 2017

Pride and Prayer

by Pastor Carter Conlon

Gospel of Luke chapter 18 verse 11 starts with these words, “The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men.’“

Now most proud people don’t pray, and if they do, it’s only to congratulate themselves on how well they’ve done without actually needing the presence of God. In fact, I believe that the root of prayerlessness is pride. The proud man says, ‘I don’t need the help of God, I have it all figured out and I know the best way forward.’ On the other hand, the humble man knows that without the presence of God he or she cannot see the way forward, nor find in ourselves the strength that we need. That’s why theBible in 2 Chronicles chapter 7 verse 14 begins with these words, “If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray.“

My dear friend, it’s time to pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment