Sunday, December 4, 2011

Happy Sunday

As he thinks in his heart, so is he.  Proverbs 23:7 NKJV

When a Trickle Becomes a Stream

I’d been pondering a situation for awhile. It rolled round and round in my head. The more I thought about it, and all its possibilities and ramifications, the worse it seemed to get. A molehill was becoming a mountain, and all in my mind.

A trickle can do that. If it continues it may turn into a stream, and then a brook, then maybe a river. Before you know it, you’re dealing with an ocean of unchecked thoughts.

Has this ever happened to you? I’d like to say I got it all in hand and stopped those thoughts dead in their tracks, but it took awhile for me to recognize what was going on and then turn in another direction.

The reality is fear, in this form, has a sneaky way of getting to us. A classic by James Allen, As a Man Thinketh, has many great quotes; a few are:
A man is literally what he thinks, his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts.
Every action and feeling is preceded by a thought.
Right thinking begins with the words we say to ourselves.


These are wise and true sayings. This, too, is wise and true: in a wrap-up to a cyclical letter to the church at Philippi, St Paul says, “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” (Phil4:8)

If I follow this suggestion, I can expect that if a trickle even gets close to becoming a stream, it will be checked and stopped in its path.

Prayer: Holy Spirit, help me to be aware when fear is creeping into my thoughts, so that I may turn my mind toward what you suggest is best. Thank you, in Jesus’ name.

Inspirational messages by Sally I. Kennedy
Sally I. Kennedy, ©2011 


Daily Smile:
COMPUTER TERMS - TEXAS TRANSLATION:
LOG ON:
Making a wood stove hotter.
LOG OFF: Don't add no more wood.
MONITOR: Keeping an eye on the wood stove.
DOWNLOAD: Gettin' the farwood off the truck
MEGA HERTZ: When yer not keerful gettin' the farwood
FLOPPY DISC: Whatcha git from tryin to carry too much farwood
RAM: That thing tha splits the farwood
HARD DRIVE: Gettin' home in the winter time
PROMPT: What the mail ain't in the winter time
WINDOWS: What to shut when it's cold outside
SCREEN: What to shut when it's black fly season
BYTE: What them dang flies do
CHIP: Munchies fer the TV
MICRO CHIP: What's in the bottom of the munchie bag
MODEM: Whatcha did to the hay fields
DOT MATRIX: Old Dan Matrix's wife
LAP TOP: Where the kitty sleeps
KEYBOARD: Where ya hang the dang truck keys
SOFTWARE: Them dang plastic forks and knives
MOUSE: What eats the grain in the barn
MOUSE PAD: That's hippie talk fer the mouse hole
MAIN FRAME: Holds up the barn roof
ENTER: Northerner talk fer "c'mon in, y'all"
RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY: When ya can't 'member what ya paid fer the rifle

No comments:

Post a Comment