Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Happy Wednesday

More Than Lip Service

"Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." - John 14:21

The commander of any military base in the United States is given a number of privileges reserved for people of his rank and responsibilities. He and his family are provided with comfortable quarters. There are men assigned to drive his car and cut the grass. He has a reserved parking space, and so on.

Now let's say that one morning he and his family are awakened by the sound of every man and woman on base gathered under his bedroom window to sing a declaration of their undying allegiance and love to him. And what if they did this once a week, yet the commander noticed that although they gathered to sing his praises and declare their love, they didn't carry out his orders?

I'm sure he'd say, "Look, it's nice that you've provided me with a special parking space and people to mow the grass. It's wonderful that you meet once a week to wake me up with your songs of devotion. But what I really want is for you to help me carry out the mission of this base by obeying my orders."

That's what Jesus wants from us--a high degree of fidelity to His mission here on earth. Revelation 17:14 says that Jesus Christ is "Lord of lords and King of kings--and with Him will be His called, chosen and faithful followers."

It isn't wrong to build houses of worship that honor God and to gather to sing songs of devotion to Him. But it grieves the heart of God when we do that and then walk out the door and ignore the commission He has given us. Christian, let's make sure that along with our hymns of devotion, we carry out His orders.

Prayer
Lord, by Your power, I want to do more than give You lip service. Help me to carry out the work You've assigned me and gifted me to do. Amen.

Jesus said, "If you love me, you will obey what I command" (John 14:15).


Daily Smile:
"Honey," said this husband to his wife, "I invited a friend home for supper." 

"What? Are you crazy? The house is a mess, I didn't go shopping, all the dishes are dirty, and I don't feel like cooking a fancy meal!" 


"I know all that." 


"Then, why did you invite a friend for supper?"

"Because the poor guy is thinking about getting married."

No comments:

Post a Comment