Saturday, October 6, 2012

Happy Saturday

After Salvation, Then What!

You know, brothers, that our visit to you was not a failure. - 1 Thessalonians 2:1

Many years ago I used to tell about picking up a hitchhiker who got into my car and promptly used the Lord's name in vain. As I talked to this young man and explained the gospel to him, he felt we had met somewhere before. It turned out that one year before, I had led him in prayer to receive Jesus Christ. Here he was, a year later, with no evidence of the new life in Christ within him.
This bothered me much, and as I prayed about it and studied the Scriptures, I was convinced of the importance of follow-up in the life of every new believer.
One of the passages underlying my conviction was Philippians 2:14-16: "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the WORD of life--in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing."

How could Paul talk about running and laboring for nothing when, back in 1 Corinthians 15:58, he said that his labor was not in vain in the Lord? These Philippians had been converted to Christ and were part of the local church in Philippi. Then why on earth was Paul talking about laboring for nothing? Because he knew that the Great Commission of Jesus Christ could be fulfilled only if every Philippian believer grew to maturity and did his part.
To see someone come to Christ is only the beginning. Let us take the same attitude of responsibility toward new believers that Paul felt toward the Philippians.

Prayer
"Lord, give me a heart of love and a desire to help new believers to be built up in the faith.  Amen."

Is there a younger believer you could help to grow?


think about this!


Daily Smile:
A 6-year-old was overheard reciting the Lord's Prayer at a church service, "And forgive us our trash passes, as we forgive those who passed trash against us."




Time Is Running Out...

No comments:

Post a Comment