Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Happy Wednesday

I Under-Stand
 Lysa TerKeurst
"... Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word." Ephesians 5:25-26 (NIV)
"I just feel mean so much of the time," my friend whispers through the leak of tears. Downward, the salty droplets slip and so does her heart, her resolve, and her assurance of being a good mom.
"I understand," I whisper back.
And sometimes that's all that needs to be said.
I don't remind her of gentleness verses. I don't try to fix anything. I don't offer solutions or articles or statistical data.
I simply under-stand.
Under ... to dip low and find that same place that lies beneath my outside veneer.
We all have an under.
And I admit to her, "I've felt mean so many times too. I've set out to have a super day with my kids only to be red-faced and aggravated minutes later. Buckling under the weight of my imperfections, I've wondered if I'll ever get it right. It sometimes feels like all the other moms are doing it better. But that's not true. All moms struggle."
Stand ... to come alongside in a position of strength, closeness, and unwavering support.
We all need those friends we know will stand with us.
And I reassure, "Somehow, God shows us what to do and fills in the gaps if we ask Him. The fact that you're crying shows a heart tender enough for God's molding and shaping to occur. Don't listen to the world's answers. And don't fall into the trap of trying to be like other moms. Just saturate yourself in God's Truth and trust the gut instincts He gives you."
Thankfully we don't have to be perfect. God has made a way to free us from the mistakes we make so we can keep going forward without the chains of regret. Ephesians 5:25-26 tells us, "... Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word."
I love that picture of Christ washing us through the Word. Some versions of Ephesians 5:25-26 actually call this washing sanctifying.
The Greek meaning of this sanctifying is hagiazo. When we unwrap the package of this word, we find three simple treasures. Hagiazo means:
1. To cleanse externally.
2. To free from the guilt of sin.
3. To purify internally by the renewing of the soul.
Externally, I wash my tears away with the truth of Lamentations 3:22-23 that God's mercies make all things new. Past minutes are gone. But this minute brings with it a fresh start.
Relationally, Colossians 1:14 frees me from the guilt. God's Word reminds that I can live in the freedom of repentance and forgiveness.
Internally, I see my depravity but refuse to wallow in it. I recall the words of Micah 6:8 as a call to action. Another place to receive the Truth as a cleansing agent from fear, doubt, hopelessness.
Yes, I understand. My need to be sanctified is great. Just like your need is. We're all in that place. We all sometimes feel mean.
Unable.
Incapable.
Insecure.
Broken down.
So, let the Word of Christ wash afresh over you, in you, and all about you. And let the whispers of a friend assure you, I under-stand.
Dear Lord, I praise You today for being such an understanding, loving God. Thank You for carrying me through every storm that I face, and for placing special people in my life to encourage me along the way. Help me to be that voice of encouragement for someone else today. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


In The News:
Bangladeshi Christian Locked Up, Beaten by His Own Brothers

Bangladeshi believer Nur Hossain was held up by his own brothers on August 13 for choosing to follow Jesus, Open Doors USA reports. A day before, they had requested 30-year-old Hossain to return to their hometown and asked him to retrieve his personal belongings. Hossain obliged, oblivious that it was a trap. "His brothers beat him and locked him up in a room," said a local source, unnamed for security reasons. "They waited to see who would come to his rescue, so they could find out the person who brought Hossain to Christianity." Under such dire circumstances, Hossain was compelled to give the name and mobile number of his pastor. His brothers lost no time and called the pastor, wanting him to come and rescue Hossain. The pastor immediately contacted an Open Doors worker and pleaded for prayers on behalf of Hossain and his family. "Pray for God to strengthen Hossain, who remains locked up," said the Open Doors worker in Bangladesh. "Pray for the pastor who is trying to get the police to help." It was not the first time that Hossain has had a brush with his brothers.

Eritrean Authorities Arrest 30 More Christians


Eritrean authorities arrested 30 members of the Church of the Living God gathered for prayer on the evening of Aug. 24 in the Kushet suburb of the capital Asmara, Open Doors USA reports. The group includes 12 women. Sources say they are held at Police Station 5 in Asmara and are under pressure to recant their faith. Since the beginning of the year, the religious atmosphere in Eritrea has deteriorated, with authorities arresting at least 261 Christians. Human rights organizations such as Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have reported that the government of Eritrea continues to incarcerate prisoners under inhumane condition, and officials continue to deny access to organizations like The Red Cross to investigate the state of prisons. "The church in Eritrea is deeply saddened by the continued scrutiny and distrust from the government and highly appreciates the prayers of our brothers and sisters around the globe," commented an Open Doors source who remains anonymous for security reasons.

USCIRF Reports 12,000 Killed in Anti-Christian Violence in Nigeria Since Beginning of 2012


In a recent report released by the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), the non-partisan group says about 12,000 people have been killed since the start of 2012 in the largely anti-Christian violence that has swept across northern Nigeria, International Christian Concern reports. The report also outlines attacks against Muslim leaders and critics, as well as state and private institutions. USCIRF gathered the information from multiple sources, and said it only included the attacks claimed by the Islamic group Boko Haram, so the impact could be even greater. USCIRF has recently recommended to the U.S. government that Nigeria needs to be designated a "Country of Particular Concern" for its violations of religious freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment