Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Happy Tuesday

Thought for Today
 Most friction in life is caused by the tone of the voice.


HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR PASTOR TODAY?
 

By Matt Donnelly [Edited]

"It was he who gave some to be ... pastors and teachers." Ephesians 4:11, NIV

Pastoring a congregation is a gift that takes a rare combination of administrative, spiritual, and leadership skills.

Trust me when I say rare. During my first year at seminary, I had all but convinced myself that I wanted to be a pastor. I even went so far as to interview for an assistant pastor position (at the ripe old age of 22!), and I very nearly got the job. I continue to thank God that he saw fit to endow that congregation with the wisdom to turn me down. I wasn't then, and am not now, fit to lead God's people as a pastor.

It seems to me that pastors tend to be an underappreciated lot. If we laypeople tend to think of our pastor at all, it's usually only during Sunday mornings when the sermon goes too long -- and those thoughts aren't any I'd care to repeat! But, I'd like to suggest that we take the time to see our pastors as true servants of God who are called to lead us as we live out our Christian lives.

Pastors will tell you that leading God's people hasn't changed much since biblical times -- it has its highs and lows, its thrilling moments and its excruciating pain. But through it all, God is there, walking beside the pastor as he or she brings a Sunday message from God to his people, helps heal a hurting marriage, and hits a stand-up double during a church softball game. It truly is an awesome task to be the public face of God to so many inside and outside the church.

So, the next time you see your pastor, say thanks for making a difference in your life. Sure, they'll probably think you're a little crazy, but then again, they might also choke back the tears and say, "You're welcome."

No comments:

Post a Comment