Sunday, April 3, 2016

Christian Living

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me – Galatians 2:20

I am dead, but I am still living, Paul says. My old, sinful nature was crucified, put to a slow painful death on the cross of Jesus Christ. And now I live by the vibrant, resurrection power of Jesus Christ.

Paul is writing to the church at Galatia, who had been greatly troubled by the teaching that salvation is, in essence, earned by works. Instead of resting in the grace of God, they had been encouraged to legalism and law service.

Interestingly, when Paul writes to them he does not claim that godly living is not a part of salvation. However, he turns the order around entirely. I am not saved because I am good, Paul says, I am good because I am saved: the life I now live, I live by the faith of the Son of God.

This is the essence of Christian living. It is not about a set of rules for us to follow gloomily; it is about a Person for us to follow joyfully. Because Christ loved us and gave himself for us, we then love and give ourselves for him!

Have you felt the sin-crucifying, love-inspiring grace of Jesus Christ in your life? If so, then it will display itself in the way you now live, by the faith of the Son of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment