Friday, April 8, 2016

First Love

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?” Jesus said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.” This is the first and great commandment.” Matthew 22:36-38, NKJV

In the last month I had the opportunity to visit, with my family, the small coastal village named Queenscliff, where my grandparents used to live. It was my Aunty’s birthday and we had a big family reunion, and extended family travelled from all over Australia to attend. It was really wonderful. Queenscliff has always been a very special place to me, apart from the family connections. We used to visit Queenscliff every Christmas holidays. It was while attending a Scripture Union Family Mission (SUFM) there as a child that I first gave my life to Jesus.

My grandparents have long since passed away. As I returned to Queenscliff this month, I had a lot of memories of life when I was young, and thought how simple things were back then. I remembered the day I went into my room at my grandparents home and sat on the bed and asked Jesus to be my ‘special friend.’ We had had so much fun at beach mission, combined with learning about Jesus, that I really wanted Jesus in my life. I came to love Jesus so deeply, and my whole life was impacted by that love. I wanted everyone to know Jesus, and I spent my life committed to that purpose.

Now many years have passed since I first gave my life to Jesus. I have felt the call of the Holy Spirit to return to that first love. Jesus tells us in today’s scripture that loving God is the first and most important commandment of life. It’s not that I have ever stopped loving Him. But I think, with the pressures of life, the hardships and struggles I have faced, my love has needed some revitalisation.

Think back to your first love and when you first came to know Jesus. Is your life radiating that love you had at the beginning? If not Jesus is calling you to return to that first love. I know He understands the struggles we are facing which may have made it difficult. But even in the very presence of those difficulties, Jesus wants to come and pour His love afresh into our spirits, and breathe new life into us, so we might love Him again with all our heart, soul and mind.

Prayer: Dear Jesus, thank You for the time in my life when You saved me and revealed Your great love to me. You know there have been difficulties I have faced. But I want to love You again as I did at first. Holy Spirit, would You pour Your love afresh into my spirit, and breathe new life into me so I might love Jesus again with all my heart, soul and mind. Amen. Today's Writer : Lynda Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment