Friday, September 22, 2017

Just a Little Thing...What Harm can it Do?

TODAY'S DEVOTIONAL - September 22nd
Just a Little Thing...What Harm can it Do?

How often have you heard someone say "It's just a little thing..."

Romans 3:23 tells us "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."

The worst murderer, the child molester, the drunk in the gutter...the worst thing you can think of is not a more punishable sin than that "little white lie". The wisest man on earth spoke about little foxes and vines: "Catch us the foxes, The little foxes that spoil the vines, For our vines have tender grapes."  (Song of Solomon 2:15 NKJV)

The great Johnstown Flood of 1889 began as a little crack in the dam but the end result was 2,209 persons lost their lives and property damage was US$17 Million.

Other little things are important, too. A smile, a hug, a kind word -- a little thing to be sure but it can make a world of difference in someone's life.

Have you ever had the blessing of holding a newborn in your arms? Such a little thing to be sure but what a joy it is.

Recently I learned the value of a little thing! I loaded my aging washing machine to begin my usual laundry day chores. The washer filled, swished, drained and -- stopped! I tried again. Again fill, swish, drain and stop! I live on a limited budget which has little leeway for a new washer. Oh what was I going to do? Pray! Yes, that was what I did -- oh, and call the repairman. After carefully checking each relay switch and each wiring connection he was about to give up; but being the careful technician he is, he just couldn't so he began to consider other possible causes. Ah ha! There was something between the two tubs. No, that wasn't possible -- but it was! A Sock! Just a little sock but a very expensive one to be sure. That day I learned firsthand the value of a little thing.

Now if I am tempted to discount the little things I remember my "very expensive sock" and know that the little things are important.

Wynona Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment