Thursday, September 28, 2017

Never Too Old for Help

TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL - September 28th
Never Too Old for Help

Hasten, O God, to save me; come quickly, Lord, to help me. (Psalms 70:1 NIV)

“Will you help me please?” As a person living with cerebral palsy I often have to say these words. Many of the tasks I need help with are skills that children learn to do independently, like buttoning a shirt, brushing my teeth, and cutting meat on my plate. Even though I would love to do these simple tasks myself, I have to come to grips with
the fact that I will always need assistance.

My dependency on others was brought to mind as I was singing the hymn “I Need Thee Every Hour.” I wondered, “Do we really need the Lord like I need other people to help me get through the day?” The psalmist David surely did think so. In this psalm he calls himself “poor and needy” and asks God to “come quickly” to help him. David was aware that he needed God’s help in dealing with his enemies. I am sure that he felt that he needed the Lord’s help every minute of every day for the rest of his life.

You might not need help like I do, but each of us needs God’s assistance when trouble comes, when facing temptation, in confusion, and in decision-making. Reliance on God is a sign of being realistic that we do not have all the answers, but our all-powerful Lord does. That kind of help we will never  outgrow.

—Steve Laman

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, that no matter how old we get we can always count on you for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment