Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Doing What Is Right...

Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins. --James 4:17

Have you ever been in a situation and known the right thing to do, but just didn't do it? If so, you're not alone! Most of us can probably relate to this scenario.

The Scriptures clearly show us what actions are sin. But how do we know when inaction becomes a sin? Well, we all know the difference between right and wrong. And it's not enough to just avoid doing sin. We are commanded to pursue righteousness and justice.

You've heard the term "half-truth" before. Half-truths are telling the truth without telling the whole truth. Thus you can omit certain information without actually lying. But this is precisely what James is talking about. Some people say that a half-truth is actually a half-lie. I think they're on to something.

There are many times in our lives when we're faced with difficult situations. But we do not have the luxury of burying our heads in the sand or looking the other way and pretending we don't see what's before us. Friend, you and I must do what is right, even when no one is looking, and even when it might cost us something!

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Ask God for courage to do what is right, even when it is difficult.



Today's Bible Verse...
For our God is a consuming fire.Hebrews 12:29

Thoughts on Today's Verse... We should worship God with reverence because he is a consuming fire! Mmm. What does that mean? Is the focus on his holiness? Does this warn of judgment? Is this an expression of his purity? Yes, YES, YES! You see, God is holy and pure and righteous. Our imperfections, flaws, failures, and sins stand out glaringly in comparison to his perfection. Yet rather than destroying us with his holy fire. He can make us new and clean and more than what we once were. So not only can we draw near to him because of Jesus, we can stay near him as we live Jesus' life in our world (see Hebrews 13). That, dear friend, is reverential worship at its finest!

My Prayer...
Righteous and holy God, please forgive me for my sin, my lack of boldness, and my unexercised faith. Thank you for not compromising your holiness, but, instead, sacrificing your Son to perfect and purify me by your grace so I can come before you. As I live this week, may your holiness be exalted by my conduct and reflected in my character. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. Amen.
The Thoughts and Prayer on Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.

Today's Verse Illustrated...


Inspirational illustration of Hebrews 12:29

Shrinking Church Needs Evangelism by Doug Hall

Shrinking Church Needs Evangelism
 

No comments:

Post a Comment