Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Wednesday

If Only
by T. Suzanne Eller

“But godliness with contentment is great gain.” 1 Timothy 6:6 (NIV)

Have you ever lived in the land of the “if onlys”?

If only I had more money, then things would be easier.

If only I lost 10 pounds, then I’d be happier.

If only they’d recognize my talent, then I’d feel more appreciated.

Not too long ago my husband and I were praying about his career. Not only did the answer not come, but every door shut that we thought would open easily. As time passed I started listing my “if onlys.”

If only we had clear direction.

If only we could begin that dream God placed in our hearts. If only, if only, if only …

Soon those unspoken words steered my thought life. They crept into my prayer time. They tiptoed into my relationship with my husband.

One day these words from King’s Cross by Timothy Keller leaped from the page:

The Bible says that our real problem is that every one of us is building our identity on something besides Jesus. Whether it’s to succeed in our chosen field or to have a certain relationship—or even to get up and walk—we’re saying, “If I have that, if I get my deepest wish, then everything will be okay.

Suddenly I saw myself. My deepest wish had shifted. Where once I longed for God, now my thought life and actions revolved around what I didn’t have. What I couldn’t control.

That night I confessed to my husband that I had not only moved into the land of the “if onlys” but had anchored there. I promised that instead of focusing on what wasn’t taking place, I would began to treasure what I did have.

Today we have food. We have shelter. Our home is warm. Thank You for that gift, Father.

Today I hold a grandbaby in my arms. See her precious smile? I delight in that, Lord.

Today I sit in the living room and laugh with my husband. Thank You for joy.

Today and everyday I am Yours, Jesus. You are more than enough.

Godly contentment isn’t passive, but an active faith that says God is enough. You and I are okay because our deepest wish doesn’t revolve around losing 10 pounds, our career, another person, or whether we’re noticed for our efforts.

Are you living in the land of the “if onlys”? If so, are you willing to change your deepest wish from the “if only” to focusing on what you have and thanking God for it?

Dear Lord, I trust that You are enough and You are good. You are my sufficiency. I find my identity and joy in You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


Daily Smile:
A young man just had his first customer, which turned out to be a BIG BURLY truck driver. The young man walked up to the table where the truck driver was sitting and asked; can I take your order sir? 

The truck driver replied, sure kid I want three flat tires and two headlights. 

The young man was very puzzled and said, I beg your pardon? 

The truck driver said again, look kid; I want three flat tires and two headlights. 

The young man was still puzzled, but replied; yes sir, whatever. The young man then took the request to his boss who was the head cook. He told him about the truck driver's order, and that he wanted three flat tires and two headlights, “I think he's in the wrong place.” 

The head cook said, I know what he wants, he wants three flap jacks and two eggs sunny side up; the truck driver is just trying to be smart, I know him. 

 The cook said to the waiter here, take this bowl of beans, give it to him and say this. 

The truck driver said, Listen kid, I didn't order this; I said I wanted three flat tires and two headlights. 

The waiter replied, Well sir, the head cook said while you wait for your parts, you can gas up!

 To Read More of The StarLight News, Just Click The Link Below 
Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment