Thursday, November 29, 2012

Happy Thursday

This Lady Drove Me Nuts

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe."1

"For several years now," wrote Nancy Streza, "I've been the phone answerer for Christian Outreach Week in our area. One year I absolutely hated it because I kept getting phone calls from an Iranian lady named Sahok
(name changed). She needed detailed directions for some 15 events … and she would talk and talk and talk, complaining that I wouldn't give out the phone numbers of the hosts. I thought I was much too busy, so sometimes I would give Kris and Tom the message and they would spend an hour or two on the phone with her, giving her directions.

"Outreach Week came along and guess who showed up at
15 events? Sahok. I met her and talked with her. After the week was over she started calling me again … asking about Christianity … asking about baptism.

"And guess what, today I am going to Sahok's baptism! Yesterday she called and invited me to come to her baptism at church--a small 'private' one--with her family and me. It brought me to my knees!

"'Forgive me, Lord, for all the complaining I did about Sahok's phone calls. Thank you, God, for letting me participate in this huge event for a Muslim convert to Jesus! I pray that the transformation in Sahok's life will impact her family, her community, and her entire world.'"2

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to be sensitive to the needs of every person you bring into my life … especially the ones that drive me nuts. Help me to listen with my heart and be as Jesus to them so that they, seeing Jesus in me, will want you for themselves. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."



Heavenly Sunlight

Walking in sunlight all of my journey;
Over the mountains, through the deep vale;
Jesus has said, “I’ll never forsake thee,”
Promise divine that never can fail.

   Refrain
     Heavenly sunlight, heavenly sunlight,
     Flooding my soul with glory divine:
     Hallelujah, I am rejoicing,
     Singing His praises, Jesus is mine.

Shadows around me, shadows above me,
Never conceal my Savior and Guide;
He is the Light, in Him is no darkness;
Ever I’m walking close to His side.

   Refrain

In the bright sunlight, ever rejoicing,
Pressing my way to mansions above;
Singing His praises gladly I’m walking,
Walking in sunlight, sunlight of love.

   Refrain

Daily Smile:
A pipe burst in a doctor's house. He called a plumber. The plumber arrived, unpacked his tools, did mysterious plumber-type things for a while, and handed the doctor a bill for $600.

The doctor exclaimed, "This is ridiculous! I don't even make that much as a doctor!."


The plumber quietly answered, "Neither did I when I was a doctor."


In The News:

Nigeria: At Least 30 Dead in Suicide Bombing at Kaduna Church
Suicide bombers attacked a church inside a military barracks in Kaduna state in northern Nigeria, killing at least 30 people and injuring at least 45 others. According to ASSIST News, a military spokesman said two vehicles were driven into the barracks in Jaji in what he described as "surprising and an embarrassment." A bus entered the barracks and was driven into the wall of the church, where it exploded. Ten minutes later, a car blew up outside the church. "The first blast caused no casualties, and curious worshipers gathered around the scene looking at the debris ... and that was when the second blast happened," the spokesman said. It is not clear who is responsible for the attack, but the army suspects the Islamist militant group Boko Haram, which has recently targeted churches in the state. The group is fighting to overthrow the government and impose a strict form of sharia, or Islamic law.

Jamie Foxx Calls Barack Obama 'Our Lord and Savior'
Appearing on Sunday night's Soul Train awards in Las Vegas, Oscar-winning actor Jamie Foxx called Barack Obama "our lord and savior," Examiner.com reports. "It's like church over here," he said. "It's like church in here. First of all, give an honor to God and our lord and savior Barack Obama. Barack Obama." Examiner notes that since the 2008 election, several have attempted to deify Obama. In November 2010, Newsweek declared him "god of all things" on its cover, and first lady Michelle Obama once said of her husband, "This president has brought us out of the dark and into the light." During the 2012 Democratic National Convention, a poster was sold that called Obama "prophesy fulfilled," and a calendar at the event appeared to compare Obama to Jesus. Most recently, a book written by Florida A&M professor Barbara A. Taylor called Obama an "apostle" sent by God to create a political heaven on earth.

CDC: U.S. Abortion Rate has Fallen
U.S. abortions fell 5 percent in 2009, the biggest one-year decrease in at least a decade, according to a report from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Nov. 21. While the exact reasons for the decline are difficult to pinpoint, an Associated Press report attributed it to more people using contraceptives and more women being careful because they could not afford to get pregnant in the economic recession. However, the AP report didn't mention other factors, such as the undeniable growth of the pro-life movement and pro-life groups and the growth of pregnancy resource centers across the country. Participation in Students for Life has doubled in the past five years, while 40 Days for Life now promotes prayer vigils in 400 cities, and Care Net has doubled the number of its affiliated crisis pregnancy centers to 1,100 in the past decade. The media has also failed to mention recent polls that found public opinion of abortion changing, with a majority of Americans identifying themselves as pro-life and only a little more than 40 percent being pro-abortion.

Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak Stepping Down
Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak abruptly announced Monday that he was leaving politics and would not run in parliamentary elections in January, the Washington Post reports. Barak, who said he would stay in office until a new government is formed after the election, said he felt he had "exhausted my involvement in politics." Barak has held a number of government positions over the years, including prime minister in 1999, when he beat current Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Netanyahu said he respected Barak's decision and very much appreciated his contribution over many years to Israel's security.

No comments:

Post a Comment