Thursday, November 8, 2012

Happy Thursday

In God We Trust 
By Mike Inman
"Search me, O God, and know my heart. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."  (Psalm 139:23-24)
Scripture Focus: Luke 18:18-23
 
It's printed on our paper bills and stamped into the surface of our coins: "In God We Trust." Yet many of us act as if this motto were a mere suggestion. Like the wealthy ruler who came to Jesus, we are seeking security after death, but we don't want anything to interfere with the modus operandi of our present lives.

Consequently, we walk away from Jesus. We feel sad because we cannot bring ourselves to give what He asks of us. In order to find our security in Him, we must stop trusting whatever else our hearts already have their faith in. Ask, "What makes my heart feel secure?"

"In God We Trust" is a daily reminder, that trusting our hearts to anything or anyone, except God through Jesus, is ephemeral - here today and gone tomorrow. We cannot rely on these things for security in this life. Our eternal future is only safe with God, so put your confidence in Jesus. His promises are not just for today. Through trusting in Him, we are secure for eternity, as well.

Insight: If I Gained The World, But Lost The Savior; Could My Yearning Heart Find Rest; In The Things That Soon Pass Away? (Anna Oelander, 1904)


Richard's Note: I felt the need for a hymn this morning, but no matter how hard I tried, my mind was blank... Then the words came to my mind, "Search Me LORD"... The words were not familiar, so I googled it and there it was... Attempts to find the music failed and I realized that I was not suppose to sing it but read the words...

Search Me Lord
by Rev. Thomas A. Dorsey

Chorus
Search me Lord
Search me Lord
Turn the light from heaven
On my soul
If you find anything
That shouldn't be
Take it out and straighten me
I want to be right
I want to be saved
I want to be whole
(repeat)

You know when I'm right
You know when I'm wrong
You know where I go
You know where I belong
You know what I do
You know my little secrets too
Search me, touch me, cleanse me
Through and through

Well you know all my faults
My every word and deed
You know what I want Lord
And you know just what I need
If there's something there
That I'm not aware
Well take it, move it,
Keep me in your care

Chorus



Daily Smile:

One Sunday morning, the pastor noticed little Johnny was standing and staring up at the large plaque that hung in the foyer of the church. The young man of seven had been staring at the plaque for some time, so the pastor walked up and stood beside him. Gazing up at the plaque, too, he said quietly, "Good morning son."

"Good morning pastor" replied the young man, not taking his eyes off the plaque. "Sir, what is this?" Johnny asked.

"Well son, these are all the people who have died in the service," replied the pastor. Soberly, they stood together staring up at the large plaque.

Little Johnny's voice barely broke the silence when he asked quietly, "Which one sir, the 8:30 or the 10:30 service?"


You don't stop laughing because you grow old. 
You grow old because you stop laughing."     
~ Michael Pritchard

In The News:
Maine, Maryland Legalize Gay Marriage in Historic Vote
Maine and Maryland voted to legalize same-sex marriage Tuesday, breaking a 32-state record of states voting down gay marriage rights. They will become the seventh and eighth states to legalize gay marriage and the first to do so through the people's vote rather than a court decision or legislative act. Minnesota and Washington state also had similar measures on the ballot. Minnesota voted down an effort to define marriage in the state constitution as being between one man and one woman; results from Washington had not been called as of Wednesday at 5 p.m. ET, but early returns were showing voters narrowly approving same-sex marriage.

Catholics Broke for Obama, Evangelicals for Romney
Catholics voted for Barack Obama over Mitt Romney by 50 to 48 percent, while Protestants preferred Romney by a 15-point margin -- 57 to 42 percent, the Religion News Service reports. Obama won 70 to 26 percent among Americans with no religious affiliation, 69 to 30 percent among Jews and 74 to 23 percent among other religions. Evangelicals voted for Romney 78 to 21 percent -- the same rate as Mormons. Additionally, those who said they attend worship weekly preferred Romney by 20 points, 59 to 39 percent, while those who said they attend less frequently went for Obama by 25 points.

First Lesbian Goes to U.S. Senate in 'Historic' Election for LGBTs
Voters in Wisconsin sent Democrat Tammy Baldwin to the U.S. Senate on Tuesday, making her the first open lesbian to be elected to the upper chamber, CNSNews.com reports. Baldwin, who was the first openly homosexual candidate to win election to the House in 1998, defeated former Republican Gov. Tommy Thompson. Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender activists called her victory the "crown jewel" in a night of victories that voters handed to homosexuals. "Tonight, we achieved historic victories in the fight for LGBT equality," said Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign. "We secured our first-ever electoral victories for marriage in Maine, Maryland and Minnesota; Tammy Baldwin is headed to the U.S. Senate; and President Obama secur[ed] a second term." Chuck Wolfe, president of the Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund, said Tuesday will "go down in history. ... Tonight Tammy shattered a glass ceiling that has existed for more than two centuries, and we could not be more thrilled."

'Ten Commandments Judge' Restored to Chief Justice of Alabama Supreme Court
Roy Moore, known as the "Ten Commandments judge," edged out his Democratic opponent Tuesday to win back his seat as chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, the Christian News Network reports. Moore, the predicted favorite over Democrat Bob Vance, had been removed from the position in 2003 when a state panel expelled him from office for failing to comply with a federal court order to remove a two-ton granite monument of the Ten Commandments that he had placed in the Alabama Judicial Building in Montgomery. Moore argued he had a right to acknowledge God and that following the order would have been a violation of his oath to the Constitution. He went on to run for governor in 2006 and 2010 and lost, and his name was also mentioned as a presidential candidate in 2004 and 2008 for the Constitution Party, though he never ran. Many predicted Alabama residents would choose him Tuesday due to both his name recognition and his stance on biblical values. "Most people see him as a godly man with strong convictions," said Republican state party chairman Bill Armistead.

No comments:

Post a Comment