Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Happy Wednesday

Take Me As Is
 
On her 50th wedding anniversary, a woman revealed the secret of her long and happy marriage. She said, "On my wedding day, I decided to make a list of ten of my husband's faults which, for the sake of the marriage, I would overlook."
 
One of her guests asked her what some of the faults she chose to overlook were. "To tell you the truth," she replied, "I never did get around to making that list. But whenever my husband did something that made me hopping mad, I would say to myself, 'Lucky for him that's one of the ten!'"
 
It's nice to decide what to overlook. In relationships, I get plenty of practice overlooking the foibles of other people. And I suspect they get plenty of practice with me, too.
 
As they hung wallpaper together, one husband became frustrated with his wife. She seemed, to him, to be indifferent about the quality of her work. He felt she was doing a poor job. He finally put it into words this way: "The problem is that I'm a perfectionist and you're not."
 
"Exactly!" she replied. "That's why you married me and I married you!"
 
Miss Perfect certainly did one thing well. She knew how to overlook annoying observations from her perfectionist husband.
 
We human beings are nothing if not flawed and imperfect. But, the point is, people are not meant to without blemish. We're scraped and scarred, flawed on the inside and marred on outside. It's just the way we are. (Sometimes I think it's one of our more endearing qualities.) I never want to forget that "perfect" is only found in the dictionary.
 
All of us sport an invisible sign around our necks -- "AS IS." It means, take me as I am. I may not become what you want me to be. And I'm far, far from perfect. But I have some great qualities, too, as well as my share of faults. You will have to take me "AS IS" and I'll take you that way, too.
 
AS IS will be the best guarantee any of us can offer. But quite frankly, most of the time we're getting a pretty good deal.
~Steve Goodier

Daily Smile:
“Please keep your dog beside you, sir,” a woman said crossly to the man sitting opposite to her on the bench at the park. “I can feel a flea in my shoe.” 

“Midnight, come here,” replied the man. “This woman has fleas.”

In The News:

Obama: 'Planned Parenthood is Not Going Anywhere'
President Barack Obama praised the Planned Parenthood Federation of America for saving lives and helping women and families in a 12-minute speech on Friday -- enough time for 7.6 abortions to take place at Planned Parenthood clinics, based on the abortion data in their latest annual report, CNSNews.com reports. In his speech, the president referenced two women that he said faced health problems with fertility and caner, and claimed they had found help at Planned Parenthood. "So every day in every state and at every center Planned Parenthood operates, there are stories like those," Obama said. "Lives you saved, women you've empowered, families that you have strengthened. That's why no matter how great the challenge, no matter how fierce the opposition, there's one thing the past few years have shown. It's that Planned Parenthood isn't going anywhere. It's not going anywhere today, it's not going anywhere tomorrow. As long as we've got got a fight to make, make sure women have access to quality, affordable health care and as long we’ve got to fight to protect a woman’s right to make her own choices about her own health care I want you to know that you’ve also got a president who’s going to be right there with you fighting every step of the way. Thank you, Planned Parenthood, and God bless you." Obama is the first sitting president to address Planned Parenthood.

68 Percent of Voters Still Unaware of Gosnell Murder Story
The news media are often criticized for spending too much time covering sensational crime stories, but not so in the Philadelphia murder trial of late-term abortionist Kermit Gosnell, who is accused of killing babies born alive in his abortion clinic. According to a new Fox News national poll, only about a third of voters say they are familiar with the Gosnell story (11 percent say "very" and 21 percent "somewhat" familiar). Most voters -- 68 percent -- are unfamiliar with it. But why has the Gosnell case received relatively little attention from the national press? According to the poll, 41 percent of voters think the lack of coverage is because of a pro-abortion-rights bias in the news media. Another 26 percent say the lack of coverage is because it is a local crime story, while 17 percent blame it on the gruesomeness of the story's details. Pro-life respondents (42 percent) are twice as likely as pro-choice respondents (22 percent) to be familiar with the case; likewise, nearly twice as many Republicans (43 percent) as Democrats (22 percent) say they know about it. Last Thursday, 72 members of Congress signed three separate letters to network news executives expressing their displeasure with the lack of news coverage and demanding the networks report on the story. Court resumes Monday with closing arguments.

No comments:

Post a Comment