Thursday, August 8, 2013

Happy Thursday




When You're a Run-Away Bride
Samantha Evilsizer
"I will fulfill my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people." Psalm 116:14 (NIV)
As soon as the opening prayer ended, I knew I had to leave my wedding. Whispering a quick apology, I turned and ran.
My patent leather shoes burned rubber, leaving my soon-to-be groom in a cloud of confusion at the altar. Fast down the aisle where my father and I had just walked. Past the curious wedding guests. Straight to the powder room where my purse and coat were waiting.
I breathed a sigh of relief. There they were, my written vows, forgotten in the excitement of preparations.
I hurried back to Joshua waiting patiently for me at the altar. Facing the man I loved, we exchanged our vows.
It's not every day that a girl makes a lifelong commitment like that. But it is every day I get to carry one out. Not just to my husband, but to my God.
Sadly, although I made a vow to follow God years ago, there've been times when I've left my vows behind. I've been a run-away bride, leaving Jesus and my commitment to Him in the dust as I took off for what I thought were greener pastures.
The whole time, He waited patiently. Waited for me to return and say, "I will fulfill my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people" (Psalm 116:14).
We can run all our lives, but we're never truly settled until we make and keep a lifelong pledge to the One to whom our heart truly belongs. In Him, we have all good things, including the gift of love—God's love.
As I read my marriage vows out loud at my wedding, I realized they were vows my heart needed to make to Christ as well. So I took the promises I made to my earthly husband, and re-addressed them to Jesus, as a covenant with my Savior, to record my heart's vows to Him:
There really is no place like home. I've come to know this with great certainty as my love for You, Jesus, has grown. You're my favorite place to be. That's because You are where I am most at home ... You are where my heart is settled, comforted and loved.
I vow to always keep You as my home base. To never stray emotionally, physically, or in my thoughts.
I vow to keep You as the center of my home. To seek You every day with all my heart, mind and soul, and to serve You with all that's within me.
I vow to keep my home clean from doubt, strife and unnecessary cares, and will fill it with believing the best about You, humility, and prayerfulness.
I vow to willingly submit to You as head of my life, to lean on You, and not be stubborn. And to allow You to serve me.
I vow to stay healthy and keep active, inviting You into my everyday activities.
I vow to dream and plan and pray for my future with You.
I vow to love mercy, act justly, and to walk humbly with You.
I vow to let You know every day just how very much I love and honor You. And to thank You for all the wonderful things about You that make You ... YOU!
If home is where the heart is, then my heart will always be with You.
I don't know where you stand with God right now ... how near or far you are. But I know from experience, the further away you are, the more lost you will feel. Today, let's run to Christ—and make or renew our vows to Him.
Lord, You alone are worthy of all my heart, soul, mind. Please help me keep my vows to You. In Jesus' Name, Amen
Daily Smile:
Doctor: What’s wrong with your bother?

Boy: He thinks he is a chicken.


Doctor: really? How long has this been going on?


Boy: Five years.


Doctor: Five years!


Boy: We would have brought him in earlier, but we needed the eggs.


In The News:
India: Five Women Missionaries Beaten Publicly for Sharing Gospel
Five women were beaten by a man in the Andhra Pradesh region of India while sharing about the love of Jesus in a public marketplace, Charisma News reports. Amazingly spared, they retreated to safety, thanking God for the honor of suffering for His sake. The women, all leaders in the Gospel for Asia-sponsored Women's Fellowship ministry, had been sharing with store owners and shoppers when one man demanded to know what they were doing. The assault began with a powerful slap to the face of one woman and continued to the others, one of whom was isolated and surrounded by five men. The women -- Bansari, Jaladhi, Kuyil, Sunita and Viveka -- were beaten on their faces, ears and heads. All reported that no bystanders came to their defense during the ordeal but they miraculously escaped from their multiple attackers and were delivered from further harm. "Jesus promised persecuting and hardships," said Daniel Punnose, vice president of GFA. "These young ladies see it worth facing the beatings in order to share the love of Christ. ... When we see young women publicly beaten for the faith, it tells us what the future holds in regards to persecution. Things will get worse, but the Lord is faithful in all things."

No comments:

Post a Comment