Monday, November 16, 2015

Put Down the Glass

by shani4jc
I read the following a few days ago and it really is a powerful message for those of us who tend to carry our burdens on our own shoulders instead of giving them to Christ as we should.
"A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience.  As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question.  Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: 'How heavy is this glass of water?' Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz. She replied, 'The absolute weight doesn't matter.  It depends on how long I hold it.  If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm.  If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed.  In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.  She continued, 'The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water.  Think about them for a while and nothing happens.  Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt.  And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed - incapable of doing anything.' Remember to put the glass down."
Many of us are guilty of carrying our burdens so long that they paralyze us and leave us incapable of doing anything!  Just as the psychologist in the story above advised her audience to do with their "glass", we need to lay down our burdens...right at the feet of the One who can handle them.
"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous be shaken." Psalm 55:22

No comments:

Post a Comment