INTRODUCTIONOne day, the world’s hope will come to an abrupt end. Although the world (apart from Christ) derives its hope from several sources, their common ground revolves around the fact that their hope is not in God. The Bible points to the results: “the hypocrite’s hope shall perish” (Job 8:13), “all that forget God” (Job 8:13) will see their hope “cut off” (Job 8:14), and the hope of the wicked “shall be as the giving up of the ghost” (Job 11:20). Unfortunately, the world can only focus upon the here and now. They judge everything by how things are presently taking place. If they gain (riches, health, material goods, promotions), they assume that they have hope, yet they fail to see that there will be no hope when God brings judgment upon their souls (Job 27:8).
- (For children): In Revelation 21:7-8, the Bible compares two types of people and what their end will be. Read 1 John 5:4-5 to find out who an overcomer is. Those who do not believe have no hope (Proverbs 14:32; Psalm 52).
- (For everyone): Do you have any loved ones who have not placed their hope in the Lord for eternal life? In what kind of things have they placed their hope?
- Have you trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour? What was your hope before you were born again? How did your hope leave you empty and afraid?
- Ask God to convict those who have not been saved.
- Thank God for giving you a hope that will not perish.