INTRODUCTIONWorld leaders constantly claim that they hold the solution for how to rid the world of poverty. Yet, the Lord stated that mankind would always have a problem with poverty, at least until the millennium. Believers should be willing to help the poor but must keep in mind that they will never eliminate world poverty. According to Deuteronomy 15:11, “the poor shall never cease out of the land.” In other words, regardless of man’s efforts to give and help, there will always be a group of people who struggle financially. With this in mind, believers should not ignore the physical needs of the poor but should be most concerned with offering the poor spiritual help (Acts 3:6).
- (For children): God knew the poor would always be with us (Proverbs 22:2). He made specific provisions for them (Exodus 23:10-11). He remembered them in times of feasting (Deuteronomy 16:10-11; 13-14). Take note that even with all of man’s efforts to end poverty, the poor will still be here in the end times (Revelation 13:16).
- (For everyone): Why is it important to be most concerned with an individual’s spiritual condition? Is it possible to help someone financially only to see them return to the problem of poverty? How is this different from the spiritual help that we can invest in them?
- A person changed spiritually will never be the same. Is it your responsibility to solve the problem of poverty? If not, what is supposed to be your primary responsibility and focus?
- Ask God for wisdom to know what you can and cannot do.
- Ask the Lord to remind you that the poor will always be here.