The true riches and honour come only from the Lord (1 Chronicles 29:12). Only the Lord has the infallible wisdom to determine the riches each man can rightfully possess in order to bring God the greatest glory. The Lord warned His people that as their riches increased, they would be tempted to forget the origin of those riches: God. He told them to remember that it was He that gave them power to get wealth in the first place (Deuteronomy 8:18). Solomon stated that the ability of men to possess riches and partake of those riches was the gift of God. Unfortunately, as men’s riches increase, many men lose sight of these truths.
- (For children): The following men knew the source of their blessings: Abraham (Genesis 24:35); Jacob (Genesis 31:9; Genesis 33:11); Solomon (2 Chronicles 1:11-12). Job knew the source of his wealth too. When God took all the riches away from Job, he continued to trust the Lord (Job 1:21-22; Job 42:12).
- (For everyone): Regardless of how riches are obtained, the Lord ultimately has the right to refuse or allow such riches. Why is it important for us to recognize our riches come from the Lord?
- If riches come from the Lord, then mankind has a responsibility to glorify God with those riches that He allows man to possess. What have you given back to the Lord for all that He has given you?
- Thank God for all that He has allowed you to have.
- Ask God to remind you frequently concerning the origin of your riches.