Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Great Expectations by Pastor Bill

Scripture: Ephesians 6:17b
"The sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God" NKJV

Some years ago we bought an elliptical machine. The ad lured us into buying the biggest and best model with all the bells and whistles. Intentions were high --- the advertisement said just 20 minutes a day and a new me! Surely the investment in me was worth it. Just by owning it I felt better, looked better and knew given a little time great things would happen.

We couldn't get into the house fast enough to start the regimen. Expectations abounded for recapturing my sports body left behind decades ago. Day 1 met all my expectations. By day 3 my muscles were screaming help! In the second week it took everything in me just to look at the machine. By the third week --- out of sight --- out of mind worked for me. We learned that's what a 30 day return policy is all about!

Great expectations without the action to back it up brings failure.

I wonder if there are people who have the same kind of distorted view when it comes to the Word of God? Could someone possibly think that by finding the biggest, fattest, most expensive Bible, they automatically become spiritually connected to Jesus? You know the one with the leather binding and the gold edges on the paper and the name engraved on it.

Benefits derived from the elliptical machine are directly related to the time and effort expended --- unless it is used and used properly there are no benefits. I cannot expect that machine to lose weight for me or sculpt my body --- I must engage the machine on a regular basis.

Likewise my relationship with Jesus through the Bible. Benefits derived from Jesus and the Bible are directly related to the time and effort expended --- unless time is used and used properly there are no benefits.

Great expectations with consistent action brings a closer relationship with Jesus.

Prayer: Father help me to diligently seek you by spending proper time and effort in your Bible. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment