Saturday, February 4, 2012

Happy Saturday

Serving God

    In 1976, I became convinced of the eminent return of the Lord Jesus Christ. This conviction was more than just an intellectual exercise and even today, almost four decades later, I am amazed the Lord has not yet returned. But I am more certain than ever that event is not far in the future. He might even come tonight. But one thing I heard said way back then I absolutely believe is true. We should serve as though we have a lifetime to give to His service and live as though He is coming today!

    Because I thought the Lord’s return was so near I delayed formal training that would give me greater credentials for service. Though I increased in knowledge through the help of Columbia Bible College and informal studies, I did not dedicate myself to a strict regimen of formal study for degree(s). (I did do South American studies through the University of South Carolina but that had to do with the potential need related to my military work.) Since those days I have met a number of ministers who have been guilty of the same failing and consequently have put limitations on their service to the Lord.

    In education as in other areas of our Christian service I find we believers, among whom I number myself, are often guilty of failure in endeavor. Some people become discouraged because they try some enterprise and it does not work out and others simply convince themselves they do not have time to achieve. On the one hand it is true the best laid plans of mice and men do often go astray. On the other we place limits on what God might do in our circumstances.

    Prayer is essential to Christian endeavor but prayer too often becomes the resource of inertia. We pray but do not seize opportunity that comes along in response to prayer. In serving God we need to have the attitude if God wills we will do thus and such. Then we do not need to either hinder that will at work:
Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain:... For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. (James 4:13&15)
Jesus is coming! May He find us both waiting and busy!


Daily Smile:

A young man, who was also an avid golfer, found himself with a few hours to spare one afternoon. He figured that if he hurried and played very fast, he could get in 9 holes before he had to head home. Just as he was about to tee off, an old gentleman shuffled onto the tee and asked if he could accompany the young man as he was golfing alone. Not being able to say no, he allowed the old man to join him.

To his surprise, the old man played fairly quickly. He didn't hit the ball far, but plodded along consistently and didn't waste much time. Finally, they reached the 9th fairway and the young man found himself with a tough shot. There was a large pine tree right in front of his ball and directly between his ball and the green. After several minutes of debating how to hit the shot, the old man finally said, "You know, when I was your age, I'd hit the ball right over that tree."


With that challenge placed before him, the youngster swung hard, hit the ball up, right smack into the top of the tree trunk and it thudded back on the ground not a foot from where it had originally laid.


The old man offered one more comment, "Of course, when I was your age, that pine tree was only 3 feet tall."

No comments:

Post a Comment