Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Monday

Dealing with Doubt

“‘Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe’…He said to Thomas, ‘Reach here with your finger, and see My hands…do not be unbelieving, but believing.’ Thomas answered…‘My Lord and my God!’” – John  20:25-28 NASB

Before she died in 1997, Mother Teresa symbolized, for many people, a selfless commitment to God’s Kingdom. So, many were surprised when, after her death, letters came to light that exposed her struggles with doubt. In one letter, she wrote, “I am told God lives in me—and yet the reality of darkness and coldness and emptiness is so great that nothing touches my soul.”

These letters reveal the human side of this person whom many considered a saint. Her example demonstrates so clearly the truth that none of us is immune to doubt. For another example, we need to look no further than the disciples of Jesus, in particular, “doubting Thomas.”

After Jesus’ Resurrection, other disciples had “seen the Lord” (v. 25). But Thomas resisted. He had doubts and remained skeptical until Jesus appeared and spoke to him directly. Finally, his doubts were overcome.

Immediately after this story, the Bible describes how Jesus performed “many other signs…which are not written in this book” (v. 30). The implication is clear: There is a relationship between faith and signs. Doubt can prevent us from belief, faith, and God’s power, but, as it did for Thomas, everything changes when we have a personal encounter with Jesus and declare Him as “My Lord and my God.”

Don’t be crippled by doubt. Seek to deepen your personal relationship with Jesus. Spend time in prayer. Fill your mind with God’s Word, and put it into practice. Replace your doubt with faith, and seek to receive all that God has prepared for you.

Today's Inspirational Prayer

Dear Lord Jesus, forgive me for doubting Your presence and power. Help me to walk by faith and not by sight. Renew me by Your Spirit. I trust in You. In Your name. Amen.


Daily Smile:
A kindergarten teacher handed out a coloring page to her class. On it was a picture of a duck holding an umbrella.

The teacher told her class to color the duck in yellow and the umbrella green. But little Johnny, who always does things HIS way, colored the duck a bright fire.

After seeing this, the teacher asked him: "Johnny, how many times have you seen a red duck?"

Young Johnny replied with "The same number of times I've seen a duck holding an umbrella."


No comments:

Post a Comment