Monday, July 15, 2013

Happy Monday

LIGHTHOUSE
One of the strongest images of standing strong in a storm is the lighthouse. In the era before radar, satellite navigation and GPS systems, lighthouses were vital to protect ships from crashing onto rocks, shoals and shores. Building lighthouses can be considered one of man’s most noble endeavors. Since the beginning of seafaring, families and friends have lit bonfires at night to guide sailors home.

George Bernard Shaw said, “I can think of no other edifice constructed by man as altruistic as a lighthouse. They were built only to serve.”


And evangelist D.L. Moody commented, “Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining—they just shine.”                            

Jesus used this imagery of light to describe our role in His kingdom. We are the light of the world, He said, after claiming Himself to be the true light. Therefore we function much like a lighthouse, both internally and externally.

The first aspect of a lighthouse is the internal function of generating light. Early lighthouses used a literal fire that had to be constantly fed and watched. Later electric lights were utilized and ultimately laser lights. But this light still has to be internally projected. So we too as followers of Jesus project internal light, the outer expression of the inner life under the control of the Holy Spirit. 

The other aspect of a modern lighthouse is that it also is an external reflector. Over the years of improvements, revolving lenses have been developed to reflect that internally generated light further into the darkness. As the moon reflects the light of the sun, so we reflect the light of the Son in a world of darkness. 

And finally, lighthouses remind us of God’s love. Like the bright shining beam of a lighthouse, His love reaches out…piercing through the darkness of any storm. 

RESPONSE
Today I will be a lighthouse for Jesus, projecting His inner light and reflecting His light externally. 

PRAYER
Lord, may Your love and Your light pierce the darkness of the world around me as I stand strong and faithful for You today like a lighthouse.

I Stand Amazed in the Presence
1. I stand amazed in the presence 
 of Jesus the Nazarene, 
 and wonder how he could love me,  
 a sinner, condemned, unclean. 
Refrain:
 How marvelous! How wonderful! 
 And my song shall ever be:
 How marvelous! How wonderful 
 is my Savior's love for me! 

2. For me it was in the garden 
 he prayed: "Not my will, but thine." 
 He had no tears for his own griefs, 
 but sweat-drops of blood for mine. 
 (Refrain) 

3. In pity angels beheld him, 
 and came from the world of light 
 to comfort him in the sorrows 
 he bore for my soul that night. 
 (Refrain) 

4. He took my sins and my sorrows, 
 he made them his very own; 
 he bore the burden to Calvary, 
 and suffered and died alone. 
 (Refrain) 

5. When with the ransomed in glory 
 his face I at last shall see, 
 'twill be my joy through the ages 
 to sing of his love for me. 
 (Refrain) 

Daily Smile:
Three men were discussing at a bar about coincidences. The first man said, " my wife was reading a "tale of two cities" and she gave birth to twins"

"That’s funny", the second man remarked, "my wife was reading 'the three musketeers' and she gave birth to triplets"
The third man shouted, "Good God, I have to rush home!"


When asked what the problem was, he exclaimed, " When I left the house, my wife was reading Ali baba and the forty Thieves"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment