Saturday, March 8, 2014

Happy Saturday

Just a Prank

Often our spirituality seems invisible and mute to a hurting world. Many of us simply internalize faith out of fear, feelings of inadequacy, or choice. A faithful response to discipleship’s call, however, is both inward and outward. Yours Are the Hands of Christ reminds us that Jesus didn’t “become flesh” so we could feel different. He came to this world so we will be different.

Read Galatians 6:7-10

Confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed.

- James 5:16 (NRSV) Today's Devotional

Many years ago I drove to another city one rainy afternoon to see a baseball game. After the game was over, I drove through a large puddle in the parking lot and splashed a group of people. I did so intentionally, thinking it would be fun — just a prank. I heard one woman exclaim, “My new dress!” Others in the group started to react angrily. I quickly drove away to escape their wrath.

I didn’t enjoy the prank; I felt guilty then and afterward. Although I have forgiveness in Christ for this and my other sins, (see Eph. 1:7), I still feel lingering regret and remorse when I recall that incident. If I could, I would write or telephone those people, apologize, ask their forgiveness, and offer to make restitution such as reimbursing them for the cost of cleaning their soiled garments. But I cannot do that. I don’t know their names; I never even got a good look at their faces.

Nevertheless, there are some things I can do. I can seek, with God’s help, to grow in Christlike character. I can be kind and considerate of others, and I can refrain from malicious or hurtful behavior. And when someone else wrongs or inconveniences me, I can remember how much God has forgiven me.

R L (Florida, USA)

Thought for the Day:
Ask for forgiveness from someone you have wronged; forgive someone who has wronged you.

Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, help us to love one another as you have loved us. In your name we pray. Amen.

Prayer Focus: Those troubled by actions they cannot remedy

No comments:

Post a Comment