Monday, March 31, 2014

Our Provider

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread of heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world. I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." John 6:32-35

I love to sit down at the dinner table with my family. While it doesn't happen as often as it used to, there's nothing better than time spent with my children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren over a good meal. And there's almost nothing better than Virginia's cooking. It's the best around! With every bite, you can almost feel the warmth take over your body and soul.

What's interesting is that this scenario is completely opposite from what takes place when a human being goes for days or months without food. The body goes into starvation mode breaking down fat and muscles for energy. Diseases are more apt to take over and other symptoms begin to take effect: irritation, fatigue, pain, depression, personality changes, hysteria, and eventually death.

I think it says something that Jesus called Himself the bread of life and the living water (see John 4:1-26) numerous times in Scripture.

He said, "Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world" (John 6:49-51).

Yes, Jesus is our salvation. He does provide eternal life when we enter into a personal relationship with Him. But we are also to fellowship with Him in prayer, His Word, and community with other believers in order to nourish and sustain our spiritual lives.

Challenge yourself to spend time in God's Word each day. Take in one bite at a time and enjoy the consistency and flavor of it. Drink in the presence of Jesus during your prayer time and fellowship with other believers at His table.

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Jesus, nourish my soul with Your Word. Fill my cup with Your presence. Give me sweet fellowship and communion with You and other members of God's family.


Slow Church Movement Fights the 'McDonaldization' of Church

Bob Smietana | USA Today | Friday, March 28, 2014
Slow Church Movement Fights the 'McDonaldization' of Church


A mega-church pastor has come under fire of that for allegedly claiming Muslims and Christians worship the same God.

Critics have taken aim at Brian Houston, pastor of the 30,000-member Hillsong Church in Sydney, Australian for comments he made in a December 2013 sermon titled "Living for the Master's Well Done, Part 1.”

"Do you know – take it all the way back into the Old Testament and the Muslim and you, we actually serve the same God,” Houston said. “Allah to a Muslim, to us Abba Father God. And of course through history, those views have changed greatly. But let's make sure that we view God through the eyes of Jesus, the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the beauty of a Savior, the loving open inclusive arms of a loving God. And that way we'll lead out of that and you'll be purposeful about your leadership and you'll draw people just like the Lord Jesus always does through the power of the Holy Spirit."

According to Christian Post some Christian leaders claim Houston is promoting a new theological concept known as “Chrislam” which blends the two world religions of Christianity and Muslim.

Houston refutes such claims. He released a statement Friday clarifying his comments.

“Recently there have been false claims on social media that I believe Muslims and Christians worship the same God. This is incorrect. Those propagating these false statements have taken one sentence from an entire message out of context. I realize that some critics WANT to believe their interpretation, but my prayer is that reasonable people will take my comment in context, accept my acknowledgment that I did not explain this sentence as I intended, and judge me on 40 years of pointing people to Jesus - not one sentence.

For further clarification, here is the context of my message:

King David said about His God in Psalm 119:68, "you ARE good and you DO good". Who David believed God IS, determined what He Believed God DOES. The spirit of the message was exactly the opposite of what some critics are claiming. If you listened to the message in its entirety, my point was that; who a Muslim extremist believes God is, determines what they believe God does, and what they believe God loves.

I was contrasting their harsh perspective of (their) god, with who I believe God is - (a Loving God, the Father of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ) and therefore what I believe God does and what I believe God loves. The ONE sentence that critics are drawing huge conclusions from was clearly a (clumsy) way of me explaining that though both Christians and Muslims believe they serve the God of Abraham, they are very DIFFERENT 'entities' or 'deities' in both nature and action.

I have always believed and will always believe that there is only one Way to God and that is through His Son, Christ Jesus. I also believe that anyone – irrespective of their religious upbringing, culture or background – can find grace, peace, freedom and eternal life through Christ.”


Have a Fantastic Monday,
Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment