Saturday, September 12, 2015

Sand in the Snake Oil


For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. Romans 14:8 

Earlier this year you may have seen a Pew Research Center report that America is rapidly becoming less Christian and more atheistic. The number of adults claiming no religious affiliation increased to 56 million, an all-time high. Almost a third of those are self-described atheists.

Before you grow too discouraged over these trends, remember what the early church faced. The New Testament Christians were a small, despised minority, unpopular, opposed, and often persecuted. The government pressured them, and their culture looked down on them. They were reviled. But they were also resolved. These stalwarts held to their convictions and changed the world.

God’s people have always been yeast in the dough, salt in the wound, light in the darkness, and sand in the snake oil of secularism. There’s no silencing a Christian who, like Esther, is willing to speak the truth with the attitude, “If I perish, I perish” (Esther 4:16). The apostle Paul said, “For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21).
In Christ, we can uphold our convictions, whether in life or in death—whether anyone else does or not.

If I live, well, praise the Lord. If I die, well, praise the Lord. If I live or die, my only cry will be: Jesus in me, praise the Lord.
Ray Hildebrand


Editor's Note: Sorry about the past three days and no Devotionals... I got sidetracked with the October paper and my focus is now on printing two papers in October instead of one... Hope to get it all back together this weekend...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment