INTRODUCTIONAn assault upon the conscience of man is indicative of the “latter times.” As men depart from the faith and give heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils, their consciences become so weak that they show very little sign of life. The Bible describes it as a searing of their consciences with a hot iron. Initially, there is great pain in the sin and the conscience feels the pain. Yet, eventually, the conscience becomes so seared that it is numb. At that point, the conscience loses its ability to warn the believer of sin. It further loses the ability to get the believer’s attention when he is on the verge of danger. Eventually, men speak lies in hypocrisy and do not care or feel any remorse for their wickedness.
- (For children): Demas had been a fellow labourer with Paul (Colossians 4:14; Philemon 1:24). He ignored his conscience and forsook Paul (2 Timothy 4:10; 1 John 2:15). There is no record of him ever returning. Ask God to guard your conscience and to help you never abandon God’s work as so many are doing today (Hebrews 10:23-25).
- (For everyone): Can you lie, gossip, curse, steal, or backbite without feeling any guilt or remorse? How long has this been the case? What was it like the first time you committed one of these sins and the Lord convicted you in your conscience?
- What are some evidences you have seen to indicate that men’s consciences have been seared with a hot iron?
- Ask God to renew the strength of your conscience.
- Ask God to give you a desire to repent and draw nigh to Him.