INTRODUCTIONMankind’s list of rules for pleasing God has become increasingly invasive upon the lives of those affected by such man-made decrees. Yet, the reality is that God most desires for man to trust Him in the present (through faith) as well as in the future (through hope). The Lord is well pleased when an individual chooses to place all of his hopes solely upon the Lord and upon His word. Simply put, man was created for only one purpose—to please the One who brought him into this world in the first place (Revelation 4:11). This single purpose is impossible to fulfil without faith (Hebrews 11:6) and hope in the Lord (Psalm 147:11). The Lord promised that He would one day return for His church. Placing all of one’s faith and hope upon that promise (of the Lord’s return) demonstrates an unfailing love for the Lord!
- (For children): The centurion had hope in the Lord and His word. He knew Jesus could heal his sick servant but wanted Jesus to just speak from where He was instead of coming to his house. Read the compliment that Jesus gave to him (Matthew 8:5-10, 13).
- (For everyone): Why is it that hope is so important to the Lord? What message does hope send to the Lord? What does it suggest when a believer loses hope?
- Do you desire to please the Lord? Look up some Bible verses that talk about pleasing God. What did you learn from those verses?
- Ask the Lord to teach you the importance of hope.
- Ask God to help you to please Him.