Saturday, June 16, 2018

An Unrelenting Quest


2 Timothy 4:17-18 (NIV*)                     
But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever.

Paul was imprisoned in Rome, writing a note of encouragement to Timothy, his young protégé. There was no moaning or complaining, only triumph and expectation. In the New Testament the people of the world are divided into two categories, the Jewish people and the Gentiles (everyone who was not of Jewish heritage). Though his circumstances were at best unpleasant, Paul was still focused on his assignment to take the good news of Jesus to the Gentiles. And beyond that he was looking forward to a heavenly kingdom where there will be no more prisons and no more chains. From the vantage point of history, we can read what Paul wrote to Timothy and see that he was right. Even from a prison cell, Paul had a greater impact on the non-Jewish world than any other person ever has. God has a plan for our lives too. His promises to keep us and use us for His Kingdom purposes are just as true and trustworthy as His promises to Paul.

THINK ABOUT IT
Paul’s life as a believer was marked by an unrelenting quest to know God more fully and to glorify Him among the Gentiles. What are your goals as a believer?

PRAYER
Heavenly Father, use my life to attract my friends and acquaintances toward a relationship with You. Paul suffered but did not complain. He was tested and did not become bitter. He sacrificed and still he found joy in serving. Help me to be more like Paul and walk in joy, because I know Your promises bring life. I know I am only passing through, and my true home is in Heaven, and my treasure is knowing You.
In Jesus’ name, amen.

When the Preacher Is a ComicWhen the Preacher Is a Comic

Today's Bible Verse...

Thoughts on Today's Verse...

Compassion. Not pity, not anger, not shame, not impatience, not intolerance, not rejection, but compassion is what God, my Father, gives to me. He cares for my pain enough to enter into my world and share it in Jesus.

My Prayer...

Father of Mercies and God of all Compassion, thank you for not only knowing and caring about my struggles and problems but sending me help in Jesus and the Holy Spirit. By one I know your love and mercy and by the other I know your might and power. May your Spirit of compassion be found in my relationships. Through the grace of Jesus I pray. Amen.
The Thoughts and Prayer on Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.

Today's Verse Illustrated



Inspirational illustration of Psalm 103:13

No comments:

Post a Comment