Sunday, June 17, 2018

Missing My Dad by shani4jc


We celebrated Father's Day today and, because of this, I have been thinking 
a lot about my dad.  He passed away about two and a half years ago and 
although I miss him every day, holidays and special occasions always have 
me missing him more than usual.  He was very sick for the last few years of 
his life, and I know that he is so much better off now than he was here on 
earth, but the selfish part of me still wishes he was here sometimes.  The g
ood news is that my dad was a Christian and I know where he is spending 
his eternity.  I also know that I will one day see him again.
"For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the 
voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God.  And the dead in 
Christ will rise first.  Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught 
up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.  And 
thus, we shall always be with the Lord."  1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
For those of us who know Christ as their Savior, there is always the hope of 
an eternity spent with Him, as well as our loved ones who have gone on 
before us.  There may be days on this earth that we miss them, but we can 
know without a shadow of a doubt that we will be reunited with them one 
day.  Knowing this won't take away all of the pain or sadness, but it can help 
us through on days like today.

A Blessing for Fathers on Father’s Day

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Blessed is every one that feareth the Lord; that walketh in His ways. For 
hou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall 
be well with thee. Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine 
house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table. Behold, that 
thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the Lord. The Lord shall bless 
thee out of Zion: and thou shalt see the good of Jerusalem all the days of 
thy life. Yea, and thou shalt see thy children’s children, and peace upon 
Jerusalem.” Psalm 128
DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
I am convinced that America’s families will not be changed until the dads in 
America are changed. The key is the father. God has given us a survival 
manual, and it begins with the father. He is to be a God-fearing, hard-
working, worshipping man of God. He is to be bold, but he must also truly 
fear God.

What is the fear of God? Not a cringing dread of God, but love on its knees. 
 And I am convinced that the man who fears God the most loves God the 
best.

Dads, your children need to see the fear of God in your life. I’ve made an 
observation of fathers. Do you know what makes a good dad? He is a man 
who is both strong and tender at the same time. Strong, but not afraid to 
hug, to kiss, to love, to speak softly and gently to the children.
ACTION POINT:
These children of yours are like olive plants round about your table. Dads, 
if you will do this, if you will put the emphasis upon your family, we are going 
to see good in this nation again. 
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.


Overboard on Church TechnologyOverboard on Church Technology

Today's Bible Verse...

Thoughts on Today's Verse...

I can't help but think of what James, Jesus' brother said: "Pure religion, undefiled before God the Father is this: keep oneself undefiled and care for orphans and widows in their distress." Jesus showed clearly this was the Father's heart in his ministry. Now it is up to us to continue it!

My Prayer...

Father, may my life, my compassion and my ministry reflect your heart for those who need care and protection and love. Give me eyes to see this need more clearly and a heart to responded more certainly so that your love may be demonstrated through me. In the precious name of Jesus I pray. Amen.
The Thoughts and Prayer on Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.

Today's Verse Illustrated

Inspirational illustration of Psalm 68:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment