Friday, November 18, 2011

Happy Friday

An assortment of antique grandfather, wall and mantle clocks at a repair shop in the UK

Tick Tock
I've always been a fan of grandfather clocks, although I've never owned one. You know the ones, solid wood beauties as tall as you are. Well crafted and built to last many lifetimes. The ones that have a deep chime that resonates throughout the whole house on the quarter, half and hour

Over the years we have had a delightful antique mantle clock and a cuckoo clock brought back from my son Kyle when he went on a mission trip to Europe. We've also had the usual number of clock radios, electric wall clocks and cheap alarm clocks, but they are not the same. 

There is something very comforting, for me, about the gentle, continuous ticking as the clock counts off the seconds. Even the mantle clock and cuckoo clock had a very comforting, resonating tick - tock. It's a sound that the other clocks we have owned never managed to quite duplicate. In fact, for me, the ticking of a tinny alarm clock can be annoying rather than comforting. 

I do have a small mantle clock given to me as a gift that sits next to my desk. It isn't an expensive clock but it has a solid sounding tick. Not nearly as good as a well built grandfather clock but vaguely comforting none the less. 

I've heard a theory that people like the sound of clocks because it reminds them of the beating of their mother's heart, while they were in the womb. Perhaps there is some merit to that theory, but I look at it a little differently. 

The solid tick tock of a well made clock reminds me of God's constant presence in my life. If I'm stressed, and I close my eyes and listen, I can almost hear Him in the room. 

Knowing He is always nearby gives me comfort when I am down and strength when I am weary. If I'm in a good mood, the reassurance of His presence only lifts my spirits higher. 

Perhaps it is the comfort of knowing Him and knowing He is near that drives me to want to share Him with other people. 

I see people who are hurting or living lives without joy and my heart aches for them. I know that comfort and joy is theirs for the asking. 

Perhaps that is what Paul had in mind when he wrote to the church in Philippi
Philippians 2:1-4 NIV
If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Until next time, when you hear the gentle ticking of a clock, may you be reminded of His presence and grow in your desire to know Him and share His love with others.

Would you help us spread the word about "Gleanings"? Tell your friends and family about us and encourage them to subscribe for themselves. Help us to take the good news of Jesus Christ to people around the globe. Help us to encourage and challenge believers in their faith walk. I know there are many people out there who could benefit greatly from what we do. Will you help them find us? Thanks.
Hallelu Yah (Praise God)
Be blessed
Kevin 

Daily Smile:
NEW SCHOOL FAD
    
My teenager was headed to school one morning when I told him that the neck tag on his shirt was hanging out.

       "I know," he replied. "It's a fad me and some of the guys started."

       Weeks later, as the style persisted, I commented, "I can't stand it! Every time I see that, I want to fix it for you." I gently tucked the tag in place and rumpled his hair.

       "Yeah," he said smiling slyly. "All the girls do, too."


NOTICE:
     Today is the deadline for the December '11 StarLight News...  Devotionals, Advertisement, What's Happening In Area Churches, Church News...

No comments:

Post a Comment