Friday, February 8, 2013

Happy Friday

THE NATURE OF GRACE
by C.R. Stam   
 
To a young Christian who kept bemoaning his failures and lack of spiritual growth, and wondering how God could love him, a more mature believer responded substantially as follows:

"When I leave here and return to my home I will pick up my little baby girl and put her on my knee. Tired as I am, I will dandle her on my knee and, somehow, looking into that darling face and those pretty blue eyes, I will soon feel rested and refreshed.

"This is strange, in a way, for she does not love me. She doesn't even know what love is.

"She doesn't appreciate my problems and has no sympathy for me. My heart can be burdened with grief or filled with anxiety, and my mind vexed with difficult problems, but she doesn't even know or care. She just keeps gurgling and giggling at the attention I lavish upon her.

"She doesn't contribute one cent toward the needs of our family; indeed, she costs me a great deal of money and will for years to come. Yet I love that child more than I can say. There is no sacrifice I would not make for her; no good thing I would not gladly give her."

Such is the grace of God toward us, His children. It does not depend upon our faithfulness to Him or our appreciation of His love to us. He loves us with an unspeakable love and keeps lavishing upon us "the riches of His grace" simply because we are His children in Christ, the Beloved One. And strangely, is it not precisely this fact that proves to be our greatest incentive to give ourselves to Him in loving service and sacrifice as we grow in grace?




The Old Rugged Cross

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

Refrain
     So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
     Till my trophies at last I lay down;
     I will cling to the old rugged cross,
     And exchange it some day for a crown.

O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary.

Refrain

In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.

Refrain

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He’ll call me some day to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I’ll share.

Refrain


Daily Smile:
A soldier was asked to report to headquarters for assignment. The sergeant said: "We have a critical shortage of typists. I'll give you a little test. Type this," he ordered, giving him a pamphlet to copy and a sheet of paper, and pointing to a desk across the room that held a typewriter and an adding machine.
The man, quite reluctant to become a clerk typist, made a point of typing very slowly, and saw to it that his work contained as many errors as possible.


The sergeant gave the typed copy only a brief glance.


"That's fine," he said; "Report for work at 8 tomorrow."


"But aren't you going to check the test?" the prospective clerk asked.


The sergeant grinned. "You passed the test," he replied, "when you sat down at the typewriter instead of at the adding machine."







In The News:

Obama: Boy Scouts Should Lift Gay Ban
President Barack Obama said in a pre-Super Bowl interview that gays should be allowed in the Boy Scouts of America, CBN News reports. "The scouts are a great institution that are promoting young people and exposing them to opportunities and leadership that will serve people for the rest of their lives," Obama told CBS' Scott Pelley. "And I think nobody should be barred for that." The statement comes after last week's announcement that the BSA may end its ban on homosexual scouts, leaders and volunteers -- a proposal expected to be discussed and possibly voted on at a board meeting in Texas this week.

Pro Athletes Influence Society More Than Pastors, Say Two-Thirds of Americans
A new survey by the Barna Group released just before the Super Bowl suggests that Americans believe professional athletes influence society more than pastors "by more than a three-to-one margin," Christianity Today reports. According to the poll, 64 percent of Americans think pro athletes have more influence than professional faith leaders, whereas 19 percent think faith leaders have more influence. Eight percent say both have equal influence and 10 percent are unsure. "Sports figures are deemed most influential by those making $60,000-plus, college graduates, whites and parents," notes Barna. "Those most likely to select faith leaders were weekly church attenders and those with incomes under $40,000." Barna also found that 61 percent of Americans support athletes' public professions of faith, and perhaps most interestingly, only 32 percent of Americans said athletes' professions of faith made people "more spiritually minded."

Oregon Baker Under Investigation for Denying Wedding Cake to Lesbians
An Oregon baker is under investigation by the state for notifying a lesbian woman that he did not make cakes for same-sex ceremonies, the Christian News Network reports. Last month, Aaron Klein, owner of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, a bakery he operates with his wife, was approached by a mother and her daughter interested in a cake for the daughter's upcoming wedding to her lesbian partner. After Klein informed the women that the bakery did not make cakes for same-sex marriages, they filed a complaint with the state. "[I] didn't mean to make anybody upset," Klein said. " just something I believe in very strongly. ... I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God." At this time, the office of the Attorney General of Oregon is investigating the matter, and Klein has two weeks to respond to the complaint filed by the women. In Oregon, nondiscrimination laws prevent public accommodations from being denied to any individual on the basis of "race, color, religion, sex [or] sexual orientation." Klein, who says he regularly serves homosexuals but cannot in good conscience accommodate their request for a wedding cake, stated: "If I have to be penalized for my beliefs ... that'll be what it is." He affirmed that he would rather close than compromise his faith. "My First Amendment rights allow me to practice my religion as I see it," he said.




No comments:

Post a Comment