Sunday, February 3, 2013

Happy Sunday

When I Stray by Lynn Cowell
"I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love. To them I was like one who lifts a little child to the cheek, and I bent down to feed them." Hosea 11:4 (NIV)

How could I have messed up, falling for that same old trap? I didn't mean to. It wasn't like I purposefully tried to make her look bad. Yet, once again, I didn't think before I spoke about a mutual friend during lunch. My careless words cast my friend in a negative light.

I felt awful and questioned if I'd ever be who I wanted to be: a woman who guards her words wisely. Though I purpose each day to live in a way that brings honor to God, some times I stray from His ways. And that was one of those times.

Later that day I threw myself into busyness to push down the shame of my conversation. But no matter how much I vacuumed, carpooled or read, the only relief I could find came through prayer.
Prayer should have been the first place I turned. It's in conversation with Jesus that He leads me away from my unwise choices and whispers, "I forgive you." He invites me to accept His forgiveness. When I mess up, Jesus' tenderness and love draws me back to Him and His ways. As Hosea 11:4 says, love is the "cord" He uses to bring us again into fellowship with Him.


God has a lot of experience when it comes to drawing back runaways. In fact, God's people, the Israelites, strayed from Him by choosing sin and walking apart from His commands. Time after time they left their Lord and time after time He pursued them ... with love, as seen in Hosea 11:4. "I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love. To them I was like one who lifts a little child to the cheek, and I bent down to feed them" (NIV).

God contrasts His gentle guidance with that of a farmer bringing back a runaway animal. The farmer, frustrated with the heifer's action, might drag the animal back to the pen with a heavy rope. Unlike the firm hand the farmer may have to use to lead the cattle, the Lord tells us that when we run from His best, His hand leading us home is tender and kind.

After asking for forgiveness of the friend I'd spoken with, I was glad when I discovered my words hadn't altered our relationship. The grace I received from my friend, and God, has caused me to be more careful. God's kindness makes me want to be like Him, extending that same gentleness in my words and relationships.

Some days, our sin weighs us down and leads us far from the Lord. Yet, God is there, waiting to lead us back, with love, to Him. Today, instead of being stubborn or unresponsive, let's follow God's gentle pull back to His heart and His ways.

Dear Lord, thank You that YOU don't throw me in the pit of my own mistakes. I love You for the way You love me ... so perfectly! In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Great Is Thy Faithfulness
  1. “Great is Thy faithfulness,” O God my Father,
    There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
    Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
    As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.
    • “Great is Thy faithfulness!” “Great is Thy faithfulness!“
        Morning by morning new mercies I see;
      All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
          “Great is Thy faithfulness,” Lord, unto me!
  2. Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
    Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
    Join with all nature in manifold witness
    To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.
  3. Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
    Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
    Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
    Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!


Daily Smile:

What do romantic fish sing to each other?

Salmon-chanted evening!

In The News:

Boy Scouts Pressured by Corporate Sponsors to Change Policy on Gays
Pressure from corporate sponsors may be the critical factor in a decision by the Boy Scouts of America to change its policy to allow homosexual scouts, volunteers and leaders, the Christian Post reports. When a BSA representative met with Frank Page, president and CEO of the Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee, to discuss the proposed policy change, Page was told that BSA is "wilting under pressure from some of their corporate sponsors." The Human Rights Campaign, a pro-gay rights advocacy organization, told BSA's corporate sponsors it would downgrade their "non-discrimination ratings" if they continued to give money to BSA, according to NBC News. According to a review of corporate giving to BSA in 2010 conducted by The American Independent last September, 23 of the top 50 corporate foundations -- including Bank of America, Intel, UPS, U.S. Bank, Verizon and Wells Fargo -- gave at least $10,000 to BSA. The largest donation in 2010 -- $700,000 -- came from Intel, which announced last September it would stop donations to the Scouts unless it stopped excluding gay scouts, volunteers and leaders. A month later, pharmaceutical giant Merck followed suit, and UPS announced last month it would no longer give to BSA because of its gay ban. BSA's national board includes two corporate CEOs -- Randall Stephenson of AT&T and James Turley of Ernst & Young -- who have said they will try to end the ban on homosexuals.
 


University of Michigan Kicks Christian Club Off Campus
The University of Michigan is accused of kicking an InterVarsity Christian Fellowship chapter off campus because the group requires its leaders to be Christians -- an apparent violation of the university's nondiscrimination policy, reports Todd Starnes. Last December, members of Asian InterVarsity Christian Fellowship were summoned before university officials who told them there was an issue with the section of their club constitution related to leadership. In order for students to be InterVarsity leaders, they must sign a statement of faith, but the university said that requirement violated its nondiscrimination policy. InterVarsity member Sara Chang said the group was given the option of submitting a revised constitution, but she and the other students decided to stand firm in their faith. As a result, the university de-recognized the group -- forcing them to relocate off campus. InterVarsity has 10 chapters at Michigan and Greg Jao, InterVarsity's national field director, says he suspects the others will soon be called upon to make similar changes to their constitutions. "The university is sending the message that religious voices are suspect and should be marginalized," said Jao. "I think it sends the message that the university does not understand the nature of religious beliefs and the convictions of religious students."

No comments:

Post a Comment