Thursday, November 24, 2016

For What Are You Grateful

O give thanks unto the Lord; call upon His Name: make known His deeds among the people. Sing unto Him, sing psalms unto Him: talk ye of all His wondrous works.” Psalm 105:1-2
                There was a commercial that suggested instead of saying what we were grateful for this year while sitting around the Thanksgiving table we should rather say for whom we are grateful. It sounded rather good but then I thought when we eliminate an area of gratitude in our considerations we are overlooking areas where our God has sought to bless us in this life.
                This year I have been thinking of the many areas where I have cause to be thankful unto the Lord for His workings in my life. Over the weekend it had come home to me how greatly blessed I had been in just the area of the mate the Lord had chosen for me. You see my wife was born on November thirteenth and we were married on November sixteenth, (Not in the same year of course.)
                In my current condition when evening shadows seem to be gathering it is good to reflect on how things worked together for my good under the guidance of the almighty hand. My dad had a tank number thirteen shot out from under him in World War Two and came home to make me. Then I married a woman born on the thirteenth who was the means of pulling me away from my rebellion against the call of the Lord upon my life. (Thirteen in Bible numeric is often thought to symbolize depravity and rebellion.)
                Would that I was capable of making a list in two parts for those I should be thankful for and for things I should be grateful for. But then, I would need to add another list for those intangible things for which gratitude should flow out and upward for. Not everything I find demanding my thankfulness unto the Lord were pleasant when they came into my life but looking back I can see how many of those things were used for good. Were hindsight truly 20/20 I think that the fine direction of a loving God would be seen in it all.
                For what and whom are you truly thankful?

No comments:

Post a Comment