Saturday, November 19, 2016

Simply Give Thanks


"Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein." – Luke 18:17

On Thanksgiving Day when I was five years old, snow started to fall. This was unusual for our area, and it stirred my young heart with excitement. I remember jumping up to catch the flakes in my hand, not the least bit worried about the roads becoming slick, although my dad would have to drive on them later and he was probably concerned. I just trusted that he would get our family safely home from my uncle's house after our holiday dinner.

When I went into the kitchen, I found my mom checking on the amount of food and worrying that there would not be enough mashed potatoes to go around. Others seemed concerned about where everyone would sit. However, I once again simply enjoyed the coziness of my uncle's small house and basked in the mouth-watering aromas coming from the delicious dishes being prepared. I was quite sure there would be enough potatoes, and I was content to sit on the floor if need be. While others worried, I explored my uncle's glass bookcase filled with treasures.

Seeing through the eyes of a child with simple trust and faith has countless benefits. As Christians, we have many Bible promises of God's care and provision, yet we may occasionally still find ourselves worrying about matters. Sometimes these cares even consume our thoughts. If this happens, we need to channel our inner child and remember that God, our Heavenly Father, will never leave us alone or without help. Just as I was able to place complete trust in my earthly father, we can put our complete trust in our Heavenly Father. He has everything under control and He never fails in His love, care, and understanding toward us.

The Lord has done so many wonderful things for us. He provided for our salvation, He loves us unconditionally, He is able to meet any need we bring to Him, and He has prepared a home for us in Heaven. Why would we worry over details that God has promised to handle, when we could just trust in Him and enjoy all that He has provided? While we celebrate and give praise to the Lord during this Thanksgiving season, let us be as little children in our trust and devotion to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment