Saturday, May 19, 2018

Troubled Comparisons

For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer. - 1 Timothy 4:4
 
Why is it that we don’t accept who we are? I don’t know about you, but I look at others around me (friends, people in the news, in movies, athletes, co-workers) and compare how I look . . . my clothes, my physical features, my sense of humor, my speaking ability, my communication skills, my car, my cell phone, my glasses, the color, length and fullness of my hair, and my experiences. 

If you’re like me, you always come up short and feel intimidated. You never measure up so you clam up. You don’t offer to use your gifts and talents because you’re feeling inferior. So your gifts and talents die inside you. You stop living, stop loving, and stop feeling. Some of you may have turned to things to numb the pain and shut down the lying, hounding voices of your past hurts, mistakes, disappointments, and your failure to measure up to others.
But it’s all a lie. God created you just as you are. Satan wants to shut you down. He doesn’t want the uniqueness of you to shine forth.  When you stifle who you are, you’re giving Satan a victory. When you allow your personality, your experience, your gifts and skills to shine forth, you’re giving God a chance to use you just as he made you. It’s only then that you’ll grow more and more into who he created you to be.

Accept who you are in Christ. He accepts you. Why don’t you accept you? There’s no reason good enough. Work through your insecurities and let God use you, starting today, just as you are.

“What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

No comments:

Post a Comment