Saturday, January 9, 2016

Where Your Heart Is

by shani4jc

My daughter is currently on a mission trip to Uganda, Africa. The team she is with has been able to provide a Vacation Bible School for the children and a medical clinic for the people in one of the villages. We have been blessed to be able to talk to her every day on the phone or via text message. I have to admit that some of the stories she has shared have really opened my eyes to exactly how much I have to be thankful for. She told us that these people basically have nothing, yet they are some of the happiest people she has ever known. This one statement really made me stop and think of how much I have and how I can become so consumed with having "stuff", that I forget to be grateful for it all. I take for granted all of the conveniences in my life and sometimes, instead of thanking God for it all, I complain because someone else has something I don't have or I complain because I have to try and keep up with all of the possessions I do have, all the while wanting more possessions! It's so easy to set our hearts on things that are just temporary...things that one day will be gone instead of setting our hearts on the things that truly matter...eternal things.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

from https://shani4jc.wordpress.com/author/shani4jc/
Click on the link to read other Devotionals and/or get her emailed Devotional

No comments:

Post a Comment