Tuesday, July 3, 2018

God In You ... Sanctification!

by E. P. Chandler
"What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols?  For we are the temple of the living God. " - 2 Corinthians 6:16

The Vietnam War memorial in Washington, D.C., has become one of the most visited and emotional sites in the nation's capital.  What sets it apart from other memorials?  Carved into that black granite wall are more than 58,000 names of Americans who gave their lives building a foundation for freedom.

In 1 Kings 9, we find Solomon, having built the temple, now dedicating it to God.  Here is God's response, verse 3:  "I have heard the prayer and plea you have made before me; I have consecrated this temple, which you have built, by putting my name there forever.  My eyes and my heart will always be there."

Solomon built a physical temple, but only God could hallow it and consecrate it to Himself.  In the New Testament, God tells us of living temples -- the people of God.  And only God can sanctify us to Himself.  He promises that those whom He sets apart for Himself have His eye, His heart, His love, and His care upon them.

Sanctification begins with God's call to us in Christ.  It is put in motion when we respond by faith and give our lives to Him.  And it continues with God's work of molding us to be more like the person of Jesus Christ.  We must dedicate ourselves to Him and cooperate by obeying His commands, but the sanctifying belongs to Him.
The apostle Paul wrote, "Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6).

Prayer: 

"Lord, when I get discouraged by my inability to be holy, remind me that I can do nothing unless You do it in me. Amen. " 

Holiness does not come from observing a list of do's and do not's; it comes from God's supernatural work in me as I obey Him. 




On Fire? for the Lord by Doug Hall

On Fire? for the Lord

Today's Bible Verse...

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. —Galatians 5:1

Thoughts on Today's Verse...

We have been set free! We are delivered from law, sin, and death. We have been set free to serve God and share in his grace eternally. So how will we use that freedom?

My Prayer...

God of freedom and grace, please give me your Spirit of wisdom to understand more fully all the ways that you have blessed me. Please help me use those blessings to share your grace with my family and friends. May I never take for granted your gifts or abuse my freedoms won at such great cost. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayer on Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.


Inspirational illustration of Galatians 5:1 

Have A Safe 4th...

No comments:

Post a Comment