Thursday, July 5, 2018

Nevertheless, at Thy Word

by 

“…nevertheless at Thy word, I will let down the net.” Luke 5:5
Last night I wrote about something new I discovered in this passage, but tonight, I wanted to share something that always jumps out at me when I’m read this story. 

Peter, who is a very experienced fisherman, has fished all night and has come up empty handed. Jesus asks him to launch back into the deep and let down his nets. Peter is quick to mention that he has already toiled all night, which sounds exactly like what most of us would say. 

However, Peter does something that most of us would not; he goes along with what Jesus says even though it goes against everything he’s ever experienced. Remember, Peter is an expert fisherman and he knows that fish are caught in shallow water in the Sea of Galilee, not in deep water. And he knows that they are not caught in deep water at high noon for sure, which is about what time it was. And he knows that he has just fished all night to no avail so he probably has zero faith that letting that net down one more time will change anything. However, he heeds the commands of Jesus and he launches out into the deep and lets his nets down. 

Can you imagine his surprise when the amount of fish he caught was so great that it broke his nets? None of his experience, none of his lifetime of knowledge, none of his gut instincts would have told him this was the way to go! In fact, everything in Peter had to fight against what Jesus was saying to do. Because of his obedience, not his experience, Peter experienced a miracle. 

Is there anything God is telling you to do that goes against every ounce of experience, knowledge, and fiber of your being? Have you toiled and toiled and toiled on a particular situation, only to have Jesus tell you to “let your nets down” one more time? Has He told you to “launch out into the deep”  when you know good and well what you’re seeking is in the “shallow” waters? 

Don’t discount what He tells you to do just because your knowledge and experience tell you something different. Obey Him even if it goes against everything you know. Obey Him even if it seems impossible. Obey Him no matter what your head and heart tell you. Obey Him no matter what simply because of who He is. Let your only answer be, “At Your Word, I will …”

Ironic Lack of Commitment by Rob Suggs

Ironic Lack of Commitment 

Today's Bible Verse... 

In him [Jesus our Lord] and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. —Ephesians 3:12

Thoughts on Today's Verse...


In Christ we are given so many freedoms — freedom from law, sin, death, etc. But one of the greatest freedoms we have is to boldly come before the Creator of the universe, the God of all time and creation, and speak openly and confidently with him. Incredibly, we mortals can enter God's world with our problems and be confident that he hears us and cares about our concerns.

My Prayer...


Almighty and most holy God, I know that without your grace and attentive care my requests to you would go unheeded. But I also am confident that because I am your child, my requests matter to you. Thank you for hearing my prayers each day. Thank you for caring about my concerns. Thank you for being patient with my impatience and tender with my frustrations. Most of all, Father, thank you for the freedom to do what I have no right or power to do — to invade your world with my concerns and be welcomed by you there. In Jesus' name. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayer on Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.


Inspirational illustration of Ephesians 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment