Friday, September 2, 2011

Happy Friday

Sweeping in the Dark
“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” – Psalm 119:105

A few nights ago, I was working out in the garage and had just finished when I noticed the kitchen floor needed to be swept from where I had tracted in and out of the house. Not a biggie, I thought. I can whip through that task in short order. The only problem—I had already turned out the light. Now, how much of an effort does it take to turn on the light? Not much, but I was at the other end of the kitchen and figured I would just do it without turning on the light. Can you guess what happened? I swept as I normally do. I got all the corners, under the table, around the refrigerator . . . the end result? A dirty floor! When I turned on the light the next morning, I realized there were many, many things that I had missed. Why? Because I could not see all of the problems in the dark. This was not the first time I had failed at a task in the dark.

Once I tried to wash my car after the sun had gone down. What a laugh I had the next morning when the light revealed the error of my ways! We can draw a spiritual parallel between my tasks and our walk with the Lord. We live in a dark world where morals and integrity are severely lacking. Many times, individuals will compare themselves to the standards of the world and convince themselves that they “aren't that bad.” Of course, my kitchen floor “wasn't that bad” in the dark either, but in the light, and in reality, it was filthy.

We cannot compare ourselves to an evil world and expect to get a clear picture of how we are doing. Our focus verse says that God's Word is a light unto our path. Indeed, the principles contained within the Bible are the true standard we must compare ourselves to, and Jesus, who is the Word made flesh, is our perfect Example. He is the Light of the world, and as we walk close to Him, He will show us the areas of our lives that need to be cleaned up. 


What A Friend We Have In JESUS
What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear
May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded there will be no need for prayer
Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there.


Morning Smile:
After the baby was baptized, her four-year-old brother was crying inconsolably in the back seat of the car.

"What's the matter Johnny?" asked his concerned mother.

Johnny replied: "that man said that he hoped our baby would be raised in a good Christian home...I just want her to stay with you guys."

No comments:

Post a Comment