Friday, September 9, 2011

Happy Friday

GOING WHERE HE SENDS US by Bonnie Ricks

The two of them, sent on their way by the Holy Spirit, went down to Seleucia and sailed from there to Cyprus. -- Acts 13:4 NIV

This verse reads so simply - "The two of them, sent on their way by the Holy Spirit, went down to Seleucia and sailed from there to Cyprus."  Doesn't sound all that difficult, does it?  But think about it… they didn't have telephones, so they couldn't call ahead for reservations.  There weren't any motels to get reservations in if they could have called ahead.  Except when they were on the boat, they had to walk everywhere they went.  It was dangerous.  There were robbers and murderers about.  They didn't know how they would be received… whether they would be accepted or, more likely, attacked, ridiculed, beaten and imprisoned.  Even though they were headed to Barnabas' old stomping grounds, it took an incredible amount of courage for Paul and Barnabas to set out on this first missionary journey.

God still sends people into scary places today.  It may be only across town, but it might be around the world.  We never know where it is that He will have us go.  But even that trip across town could hold all sorts of dangers.  From traffic accidents to facing ridicule from those we will meet, we, as Christians, will face every manner of frightening circumstance if we commit ourselves totally to His work and His word.

So from where do we garner the courage to continue?  From the same source that gave Paul and Barnabas their strength - from Jesus Himself.  When you're frightened, seek His strength.  He will give it freely.

"When I am afraid, I will trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid.  What can mortal man do to me?"  Psalm 56:3-4

Pass Me Not O Gentle Savior
1.	Pass me not, O gentle Savior, 
	hear my humble cry; 
	while on others thou art calling, 
	do not pass me by. 
Refrain:
	Savior, Savior, hear my humble cry; 
	while on others thou art calling, 
	do not pass me by. 

2.	Let me at thy throne of mercy 
	find a sweet relief, 
	kneeling there in deep contrition; 
	help my unbelief. 
	(Refrain) 

3.	Trusting only in thy merit, 
	would I seek thy face; 
	heal my wounded, broken spirit, 
	save me by thy grace. 
	(Refrain) 

4.	Thou the spring of all my comfort, 
	more than life to me, 
	whom have I on earth beside thee? 
	Whom in heaven but thee? 
	(Refrain) 
 
Morning Smile

   A police car pulled me over near the high school where I teach. As the officer asked for my license and registration, my students began to drive past. Some honked their horns, others hooted, and still others stopped to admonish me for speeding. 

    Finally the officer asked me if I was a teacher at the school, and I told him I was. 

    "I think you've paid your debt to society," he said with a smile, and left without giving me a ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment