Sunday, September 18, 2011

Happy Sunday

Protecting
If you make the Most High your dwelling-even the LORD, who is my refuge, then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. Psalm 91:9-11

John Paton was a missionary in the New Hebrides Islands. On one particular night, a band of hostile, violent natives surrounded the mission to burn out the Paton family, destroy their possessions, and kill them. Throughout the entire terror-filled ordeal, John Paton and his wife were on their knees earnestly praying that God would deliver them from harm.

When morning arrived, they were amazed and grateful to see their attackers had left. The Patons knew their prayers had been answered, but were puzzled as to what specifically had driven the natives away. Only a year later, John Paton led the chief of the tribe who had come to hunt and kill his family into a relationship with Christ.

Still fresh on his heart and mind, Paton decided he would discuss that horrific night with the chief. He asked what had kept him and his men from burning down his house and killing his family. The chief replied in surprise, “Who were all those me there with you?” Paton never knew any men were present and explained this to the chief. But the chief said he and his men were afraid to attack and ran away because they had seen hundreds of big men in shining garments with their swords drawn circling the mission.

God’s power is real. And his heavenly army is real. We often don’t think about the reality of His supernatural power and the angels that protect us, but as Christians we are shielded from danger every day. Isn’t it comforting to know that God has His army surrounding and protecting us from evil every day of our Christian life?

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Thank God for His mighty protection on your life. Ask Him to continue to keep His hedge of protection around you and your family, so that the Evil One won’t have a chance to  come in to kill, steal, and destroy.

Keep Me Ever Close To Thee

Source from whence the stream of mercy
Like a river flows to me,
With Thy cords of love so tender
Bind and keep me close to Thee.
Refrain
     Keep me ever close to Thee,
     Blessèd Savior, dear to me,
     With Thy cords of love so tender
     Bind and keep me close to Thee;
     Keep me ever close to Thee,
     Blessèd Savior, dear to me,
     Bind and keep me close to Thee.

There my life, my hope and comfort,
There a refuge for my soul,
When the clouds hang darkly round me,
And the distant surges roll.
Refrain

There in holy, sweet communion
With Thy Spirit day by day,
Faith to realms of light and glory
Bears my raptured soul away.
Refrain

Close to Thee, O Savior, keep me,
Till I reach the shining shore,
Till I join the raptured army,
Shouting joy forevermore.
Refrain
 
Daily Smile
Three Pastors in the south were having lunch in a diner. One said "Ya know, since summer started I've been having trouble with bats in my loft and attic at church. I've tried everything--noise, spray, cats--nothing seems to scare them away.
      
      Another said "Yea, me too. I've got hundreds living in my belfry and in the narthex attic. I've even had the place fumigated, and they won't go away."
      
      The third said, "I baptized all mine, and made them members of the church... Haven't seen one back since!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment