Saturday, September 3, 2011

Happy Saturday

TRUE WORTH

Isaiah 43:1-7 (NRSV) But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I give Egypt as your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba in exchange for you. Because you are precious in my sight, and honored, and I love you, I give people in return for you, nations in exchange for your life. Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you; I will say to the north, "Give them up," and to the south, "Do not withhold; bring my sons from far away and my daughters from the end of the earth-- everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made."

_________________________

When they call to me, I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble, I will rescue them and honor them.
-Psalm 91:15 (NRSV)
_________________________

"WHAT could you do with $20?" asked our pastor Digby during children's time in the church service. The kids jumped with grasping hands as he waved the bill in front of them. Then, to their consternation, he crumpled it up and threatened to deface it or even tear it. Finally, he pointed out to them that no matter what he did to that bill, it would still be worth $20.

And so it is with human life. Terrorist attacks, global economic collapse, natural disasters, accidents, illness, and other losses can threaten to crush us, deface us, and tear us to shreds. But can the worst events that we encounter ever destroy our value? After all, whose are we? The Lord says, "I have called you by name, you are mine" (Isa. 43:1). The apostle Paul stressed that nothing "will be able to separate us from the love of God8:39).

The Bible tells us that whatever happens, even when the worst has been done, the last word still belongs to God. Nothing that happens can diminish our worth to our God, who holds, sustains, and cherishes us.

Prayer: Dear God, we praise you for giving us lives of meaning and purpose whose value can never be destroyed by tragic events. Amen.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
     Thanks be to God who gives us victory in Christ Jesus our Lord!

-- John Franklin (Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand)

It Is Well With My Soul
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Refrain
     It is well, with my soul,
     It is well, with my soul,
     It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
Refrain

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
Refrain

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
Refrain

But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!
Refrain

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.
Refrain


Morning Smile
Three men were discussing at Burger King about coincidences. The first man said, " my wife was reading a "tale of two cities" and she gave birth to twins"

"That’s funny", the second man remarked, "my wife was reading 'the three musketeers' and she gave birth to triplets"

The third man shouted, "OH NO, I have to rush home!"

When asked what the problem was, he exclaimed, " When I left the house, my wife was reading Ali baba and the forty Thieves"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment