Monday, September 19, 2011

HAPPY MONDAY

Repentance by Sumner Wemp
"I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish" Luke 13:5.

What is repentance? It was my privilege to major in Greek in seminary. The Greek word "metanoia," repentance, means "change of mind." Meta, like in metamorphosis means to change and noia like in paranoid, means mind. 

God must change their minds "The Lord's bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, be patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth" 2 Tim. 2:24, 25. God must give them repentance, change their minds. 

God gets the glory What a difference it makes when in preaching, teaching or reaching the lost when we understand that. You and I cannot make them see the truth or change their minds. God must do that. When we depend on Him to open their eyes and change their minds so He gets the credit and glory, He will do it more for you. 

Acknowledge the truth He gives repentance "to the acknowledging of the truth" not to "turning from their sin." It is so vital in witnessing. I have seen it hundreds and hundreds of times. You witness to someone and they think they are good people and haven't done anything bad and you say, "We are all in the same boat, we have all sinned, haven't we?" They always admit they too have sinned. They repent and "acknowledge the truth." 

Not by our works Most people think they are saved if they do enough good deeds. When you share the gospel and tell how the Lord Jesus died for our sins, paid our debt in full and rose again, God opens their eyes and see it is not their works but Christ's work on the cross that pays our sins, They then, repent and "acknowledge the truth." 

What are you going to do about it Now, the question is, "What are you going to do about it?" They must believe and receive the Lord Jesus to be saved and THEN will they turn from their sins because they are born again, not to become born again. There is a vast difference.

Prayer:  Father, help us to depend on the Holy Spirit to do His work of conviction, convincing and conversion. In Jesus name. You are loved by God and me, ABC, sumner


Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior
Pass me not, O gentle Savior,
Hear my humble cry;
While on others Thou art calling,
Do not pass me by.
Refrain
      Savior, Savior,
      Hear my humble cry;
      While on others Thou art calling,
      Do not pass me by.

Let me at Thy throne of mercy
Find a sweet relief,
Kneeling there in deep contrition;
Help my unbelief.
Refrain

Trusting only in Thy merit,
Would I seek Thy face;
Heal my wounded, broken spirit,
Save me by Thy grace.
Refrain

Thou the Spring of all my comfort,
More than life to me,
Whom have I on earth beside Thee?
Whom in Heav’n but Thee?
Refrain

Daily Smile
The preacher stopped in the middle of his powerful sermon to ask, "Who is GOD, anyway?"

From the back of the church, a little boy said, "GOD is a chauffeur."

"WHY do you say that?" asked the preacher.

"Because," said the boy, "HE drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden."

No comments:

Post a Comment